Broken laptop- What to do with it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VPrime, Dec 4, 2009.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I will be getting a laptop soon that is broken (screen is cracked from what I am told)
    And now I am thinking on what I should do with it..

Lately I have been wanting an NAS, or some sort of media server but I can't decide.
    I looked into FreeNAS, and it seems like a decent way to go, but at the same time I can load up a linux distro and do all that + more. There is also Windows Home Server, that looks really appealing but does not seem that 'fun' to set up;). A file/media server would be great, especially one that would stream media to a PS3.

Any one have any good ideas on what I can do with this?:D

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well it VERY likely uses a standard screen that you can pick up anywhere so..why not put out $60-$90 and get you a new lappy? :D

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

4. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

I was thinking of this.. But really I don't need an extra laptop (macbook is fine for me) and if I were going to crack it open I would do something far more interesting like make a new carputer for my current winterbeater :D

Nope not hot, it is from a relative that is not computer literate who told my parents (who have zero computer experience.. like, beyond stone age) they they broke their computer.. This conversation was in a foreign language (persian) than "translated" to me in a worse dialect of persian (I can not speak as good as my parents)
    So details are lost in translation :eek:

That being said, I don't really want to sell it... I want to use it for some thing. They only got the computer 2 years ago so the battery is still fine, so this just screams server to me.. But I don't need web server (though having my own web server again would be nice... but not a need)

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Cool, I'm sure you'll plug it into an external monitor and get it up and running fine, after all I can think back to about 20 "dead" computers my friends have come to me for only to find it was a setting that was configured :p

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

So you don't need it, don't really want to fix it but you want to use it for something and don't want to sell it on? http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/wtf.gif

I don't know what you're after here but I think you should caress it and tell it you love it in spite of its brokeness.

7. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hah, I guess your right I should be a little more clear here.

I am pretty sure I want to use it as a NAS or media server for PS3(or both..as really if it can serve media why cant it serve files?).. I am mainly asking if there are any specific linux distros, windows software or what ever else to make this as useful as possible.

But, at the same time I am asking if there is any thing I haven't thought of or something that a forum user here could suggest a use for.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Hackintosh with Mac OS X Server? That's what I'm planning on doing with an old dell desktop later on. (after Christmas) It will be in vmware on top of windows home server though.

9. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Prop it up out in a field and put a handful of 9mm rounds through it. 7.62mm is also good. Give you a warm and satisfying feeling, while at the same time re-using a waste product that would otherwise be thrown away. :D

10. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Buy the parts to fix the computer and ebay it.