Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I made a research about this topic, it seems it´s quite popular between the late 2008 unibody macbooks pro owners, the inverter problem, logicboard replacements..etc
Was hoping it won´t happen to me, but.....now is my turn! The image get completely distorted with random colors and lines......
a 1740€ piece of hardware that last 3 years less than my 2005 Sony VAIO.

Just going to buy a external monitor..., a cheap workaround solution than taking it to apple support without apple care. but just wondering, maybe is not sooo broken as i thought, because if i press the screen with my hand around the bottom left corner, the image get fixed! Sometimes it stays working for some days until it gets screwed again.

Anyone knows if this could be a minor problem, like a loose cable, perhaps is an easy repair, apart from removing the glass....

Thank you.

dionysious

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
no if you can press the screen, it means it is cracked. if it was hardware or software that would definently not happen.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
Took me 2 repairs for my 2008 Apple MacBook Pro Unibody. The first one was the logic board replacement and the second one was the inverter. Sorry to hear your problem. If you don't have AppleCare left, you might best buy a new computer.

Nekz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Thank you both for replying. Just realized that higher price isn´t equivalent of good hardware quality, but of good design, "coolnes" and a very solid OS. Perhaps the life span of nowadays computers are much shorter.
yes, have to buy a new computer, don´t know if it will be Apple this time
too pricey for me now.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Thank you both for replying. Just realized that higher price isn´t equivalent of good hardware quality, but of good design, "coolnes" and a very solid OS. Perhaps the life span of nowadays computers are much shorter.
yes, have to buy a new computer, don´t know if it will be Apple this time
too pricey for me now.

Do you know what you have done? You sir, are guilty of a logical fallacy.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Do not assume that just because you have a problem, consequentially, this problem persists in all cases, with all people - that the quality is poor and "coolness" the only factor which you pay for.

I have the same laptop. 3 years and it still runs and looks like new. I even have Apple Care, but never had to use it. I am a student so to say I use my laptop often is an understatement. It's always on. There are 5,000 other students in my school, using the same laptop, and each one can attest to this.

Of course, there are outliers.

What happened to you is unfortunate, but relatively isolated. Do not extrapolate and generalize, then dismiss the product(s) hardware as poor.
It's fine. Your luck is poor.

I'm sorry for your situation, and lack of insight.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Do you know what you have done? You sir, are guilty of a logical fallacy.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Do not assume that just because you have a problem, consequentially, this problem persists in all cases, with all people - that the quality is poor and "coolness" the only factor which you pay for.
Unless you're talking about Windows machines. Then the above doesn't apply.

I have the same laptop. 3 years and it still runs and looks like new. I even have Apple Care, but never had to use it. I am a student so to say I use my laptop often is an understatement. It's always on. There are 5,000 other students in my school, using the same laptop, and each one can attest to this.
And how did you come to this conclusion? Did you poll all 5000 students and have each one attest to what you're saying? Or did you just pull this number out of your butt? Sounds like you're a little guilty of fallacious reasoning yourself.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Actually I did. I am an economics major and during the summer prior to my Junior year I was assigned quite an open-ended project. I choose to determine the subjective and objective divide between the student Macintosh user-base and Windows-PC user-base.
Basically, do our personal (subjective) tendencies (affection for a pretty product) get the best of the objective data (how the computer has actually performed/serviced the student).

Out of a ~25,000 student body we were able to get ahold of and poll ~17,000, of which ~5,000 had the unibody macbook, or the immediate 13" pro successor.

Thank your for your inane, typical and useless retort.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Actually I did. I am an economics major and during the summer prior to my Junior year I was assigned quite an open-ended project. I choose to determine the subjective and objective divide between the student Macintosh user-base and Windows-PC user-base.
Basically, do our personal (subjective) tendencies (affection for a pretty product) get the best of the objective data (how the computer has actually performed/serviced the student).

Out of a ~25,000 student body we were able to get ahold of and poll ~17,000, of which ~5,000 had the unibody macbook, or the immediate 13" pro successor.

Thank your for your inane, typical and useless retort.

And thank you for your arrogant, typical, and useless reply.

Had you mentioned your study in the first place instead of a simple broad statement, maybe fewer people would misconstrue it as you pulling numbers out of nowhere. Additionally, there's no mention about the validity of your study or any techniques involved. As an economics major I'm sure you'd agree.

Quit being so full of yourself. It's obvious you're still a student, you still have a lot to learn.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
It's quite easy to shove a finger in each ear, or hold a palm to each eye, and deny everything everyone says. Hum as loud as you want, but in its simplest form, what I said at first, still remains true; the poster's situation is not indicative of the whole.
Quit being so close-minded. You can't paint this picture with the problems of one person. A painter's palette often holds more than one color.

& listen, I'm not going to go shove case-studies into every post I write. Validity is important, but some inference and a willingness to understand on the reader's part is required as well. What I claimed is not baseless, even in the absence of statistics.

----------

Let me add that I am arrogant. Confidence is not a clean-burning fuel.
Enough people complain, I might just go green.

Last edited:

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
It's quite easy to shove a finger in each ear, or hold a palm to each eye, and deny everything everyone says. Hum as loud as you want, but in its simplest form, what I said at first, still remains true; the poster's situation is not indicative of the whole.
Quit being so close-minded. You can't paint this picture with the problems of one person. A painter's palette often holds more than one color.
I am not disagreeing with your original premise. I simply found it ironic that you were so self-righteously calling someone out for their fallacies of reasoning when you virtually did the same thing IN YOUR VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH by not "shoving a case study" into it.

listen, I'm not going to go shove case-studies into every post I write. Validity is important, but some inference and a willingness to understand on the reader's part is required as well. What I claimed is not baseless, even in the absence of statistics.
Like I said, if you're going to rake someone over the coals for committing an error in reasoning, best not to give the impression you've made the same error - especially in the same post. It only makes you look foolish.

Let me add that I am arrogant.
At least you admit to having this problem. That's a good start.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
seeing as you're buying a new computer anyway, maybe satisfy your curiosity first and open it up yourself?
worst case you break it - buy a new computer
best case you don't break it - big smiles

and haha visim91. hope the above trolling was satisfying for you. you can make nice sentences. jolly big tick. star student, now get a life

Nekz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hello community, I think after all this time i found a solution for my broken screen, I made a PRAM reset and vuala! The screen seems to be fixed! I did it cause my DVD drive isn´t reading dual layer DVDs, and one suggestion i found was to reset the PRAM. The DVD driver still doesn´t read dual layer dvds but the screen is working properly.

Anyone knows a technical explanation about this? Does the PRAM has some relation with the screen?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.