Broken LCD 17" macbook pro unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Djamp, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Djamp macrumors newbie

So, the other day my 17" unibody macbook pro slid off of my lap and on the way down the LCD screen smacked against a corner of a wooden table. When i picked it up the bottom right corner of the display was cracked in a spider web pattern and the rest of the display was all grey and white. I sent it into apple and they called me and quoted me on it being $960 to replace the entire top cover. I asked them if it was just the LCD display that was broken and they said they did not know they just evaluated that the top display was broken (woop de doo, i knew that when i looked at it too) and that it would have to be replaced.

My second dilemma now is whether i should try to replace the lcd screen myself or take it too a third party. I heard you can order the correct LCD screens online for around 2-300 bucks, however i have never taken apart any laptop before. Would you recommend me using a third party to repair the macbook insted and screw the applecare warranty? i only have around 6-7 months left on it anyway. Or to try to replace it myself?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive heard the screen assembly is tricky, esspeically taking it apart i think they use glues to hold it together

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You may try an third party authorized Apple service center and get them to state in writing that the repair does not void the remainder of your warranty as they are an authorized service center??? Worth a shot.