Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
My LCD was broken accidentally, and I'm out of warranty.

Question 1: How much is this repair on the 13" Air from 2010? How long does the repair take? Is it done at the apple store itself?

Question 2: How do I secure OSX so it can't be accessed while they do the repair? Obviously with email, work documents, etc I want to make sure I secure the information before handing it over.
Thanks!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Turn on FileVault2 and make sure all accounts have passwords.

Though I think the repair will cost more than its worth.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I would check Ebay to see if there are any used screens out there in the range of $200 or less. I heard Apple charges $750 for screen replacement, so that's near the price of a new refurb. BTW, how did it crack? I'm always wary of this when carrying my Air in a backpack.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
I know techrestore charges $450 just for an Air screen repair so I'd expect it to be more @ Apple.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
ive had mine replaced it was about $450 from Apple for a 13" MBA (put a pill bottle in my backpack and when i set my bag down it put a pressure crack in the middle). Previously broke another LCD on a 15" MBP which cost the same exact amount, but it was within 90 days of purchase so my AMEX covered(my son stepped on this one when i carelessly left it on the floor to get a drink). the MBA was out of the 90 day window buy a couple months.

Hopefully apple starts to offer applecare+ for macs as well.

P.S. Had the repairs done at Apple.

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
If you could find the correct screen, you may could replace it yourself. It would save you a lot, anyway. Here is a video showing how to remove the panel in an 11.6".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNtnvzfSzY

It seems a bit tedious, but still straight forward. The hard part would be the use of something instead of a heat gun if you don't have one. It says in the video that you could use a hair dryer, but I don't know how that would go.

lbfjrmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
If you could find the correct screen, you may could replace it yourself. It would save you a lot, anyway. Here is a video showing how to remove the panel in an 11.6".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNtnvzfSzY

It seems a bit tedious, but still straight forward. The hard part would be the use of something instead of a heat gun if you don't have one. It says in the video that you could use a hair dryer, but I don't know how that would go.

i believe this was possible on older gen mba's. Now entire lcd top section has to be replaced.

it would be nice if moderators would merge broken mba lcd's to one thread . . . strength in numbers as this is a weakness of these porcelain dolls!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The 2010 and 2011 MBA's are more expensive for one reason. The back of the LCD is the alum. clamshell. 2008 and 2009's you could replace the LCD only, new ones you need to basically replace the entire clamshell assembly. These run $600+ easily.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
So basically my MBAIR is done...cause I'm not paying 600 bucks to fix a laptop, thats crazy. I'll take it to apple but anything over 200-300 bucks and its going in the recycle bin. Id rather spend that cash on a new 17" Pro.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So basically my MBAIR is done...cause I'm not paying 600 bucks to fix a laptop, thats crazy. I'll take it to apple but anything over 200-300 bucks and its going in the recycle bin. Id rather spend that cash on a new 17" Pro.

I'd definitely consider a third party option since it's out of warranty anyway. Apple will want $600 but I'm guessing you can get a reliable third party for about $450. If that's still too much, perhaps get a BookArc case and use the Air as a "desktop" PC.

Anyway, when you do buy a new notebook, you might consider getting a personal articles policy from your homeowner or renter insurance company. I purchased one for my 2011 MacBook Air and it was $33/year for $1795 coverage (cost of my 2011 plus tax), with a $250 deductible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.