Broken LCD Repair + Constantly Sleeping + Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ascham87, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

So, I've got a 17" Powerbook that the LCD has been thoroughly cracked (drunken night + powerbook does not mix). Anywho, I still have Applecare for another year and while I definitely know that the screen is NOT going to be replaced, just recently my Powerbook has begun falling asleep constantly for no reason. This is obviously annoying and now I'm wondering what I should do. If I get the screen replaced (from a place like iResQ or Mac Service), will that void the Applecare for the sleeping issue. On the other hand, if I try to get the sleeping problem taken care of under Applecare, will Apple try to make me get the screen replaced at one of their outrageous rates?

I'm kind of stuck in a rut here and any help would be appreciated, also, if anyone would like to help and recommend the best website to get my screen replaced. Keep in mind that I'm not willing to replace it myself although that would be the cheaper option. I'm very busy and value my time accordingly and don't want to mess with it.
    Thanks

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure if apple sees the screen that will void your apple care. Probably best to have it replaced and then try and get the sleeping problem fixed. But others might have a better idea.

3. ascham87 thread starter macrumors regular

ascham87

So I called AppleCare, clearly told them that I had cracked my LCD and wasn't wanting them to replace that, but however wanted the sleeping issue to be resolved. I had figured them to tell me they wouldn't work on it, however I was sent a dispatch (return box) and he said it doesn't affect them servicing the rest of the computer. So we'll see how this all goes.