Broken LCD to Logic board cable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FlashGordon7, Mar 15, 2013.

1. FlashGordon7 macrumors newbie

I've just installed an SSD into my 2011 21" iMac and thought everything had gone fine, but when I turned it on the display did not come on, even though it sounds like everything is working, including a fan which is now on full power.

I've had a look and it doesn't look like I have been able to install the internal displayport cable back to the way it was, which connects the logic board to the LCD. I've done a bit of searching and it seems others have written that this particular piece is rather vulnerable when installing SSD's. I have attached a picture of the logic board end of the cable as I can't tell if the end of the cable (which is silver and bent at 90 degrees) is part of the original cable or something which has come away from the logic board.

I know that I can purchase another cable, but if the problem is something which has come away from the logic board then another cable isn't going to solve the problem. Someone please tell me I can get myself out of this rather sticky situation!! If anyone can help that would be great!

Attached Files:

2. macthefork, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

That doesn't look good. Did you pull the handle up and over (which unlatches the connector), then gently pull the cable up (or parallel to the board, not 90º to the board-- the direction the cable was going)?

I can't really see what that ragged edge is on there (hope it's not circuit board), but you should be able to see the female end on the logic board and the male plug that fits into it on the cable end.

To install, you'd make sure the handle is up toward the cable, plug in the connector, then fold over the handle down flat to lock it in place.

Here's a screenshot of that connector in a 2011 27" (taken from an OWC SSD installation video)

Attached Files:

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

You can still use an external monitor with the display port adapter. Forget about repairing this.

4. someoldguy, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

someoldguy macrumors 65816

One way or another that cable's shot ( you knew that) , the question is , what does the socket the cable goes into look like? I know the socket is small , sorta oddly shaped , and in an inconvenient location but is it obviously separated or loosened from the logic board? does it look damaged externally ? Can you get a look into the opening the cable goes into, maybe with a flashlight and magnifier of some sort , or maybe a digital camera with a zoom to see if there's anything stuck in the socket , or if there's obvious internal damage . If there's residue of some sort ( like part of the cable) left in there , can you get it out , maybe with a needle or dental probe , or vacuum? If the insides of the socket appear to be clean , or can be cleaned ; try a new cable and see what happens . If the new cable doesn't work , and the socket is intact , but damaged , on the logic board , look around either locally or online for an independent repair shop that has the ability to replace the socket . Assuming the logic board itself isn't damaged , all might not be lost , though you'll probably have to throw some money at the problem to make it go away.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

does the logic board look damaged or unusual?
    seems like a new cable should do the trick. the slot for these cables is rather thin when trying to connect everything together with a display in the way so as as long as the connector on the board is fine, then you shouldnt have a huge problem.

6. Andrew.Viritek macrumors newbie

Andrew.Viritek

Take a picture of the lvds connector on the logic board, see if it is damaged or not.