Broken leg experiences

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Legolamb, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Lying here after surgery for a smashed tibia and fibula. Happened 11 days ago, only operable a week ago because it was too swollen and bruised. But I was lucky that no joints were involved. So 12 pins and 2 plates later, MD says if it heals properly, then next Tues they replace the splint (5 pounds of plaster) with a lighter boot. No weight bearing for 6 weeks.
    1) I'm taking copious amounts of morphine to dull the pain, but it leaves me to drugged to enjoy it. But the pain gets excruciating when I do the physio. On the other hand, the pain does improve as the days go on, but it's intense. I can feel the bones, and the skin, knit, kinda like the Invisible Man.
    2) I'm terrified of using/falling with the crutches. Even hopping on the walker is terrifying.
    3) I will have scars. (Oh, vanity)
    4) Being dependent on family is hard for me, but I know that I'm luckier than many. And the fall could have been really, dramatically, worse.

Anyone else have a broken leg? Any advice? If all goes well, what to expect?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

First off : Ouch.
    both tibia and fibula. must have been one hell of accident.

two:

once the pain goes away , you probably will get what is best described as itchies in the bone. like a itchy spot in the bone where it was broken.
    ice helps that feeling go away.

three :

do not put ANY weight on it, watch how you sit too , some people press down with leg when they sit in chair.

four :

morphine actually slows down bone healing so try to get off it a soon as possible.

five :
    eat really really good quality nutritious food , give your body the building blocks it needs to repair properly

six:

lots of rest, you may feel tired, this is normal, but do take the time to sleep.

I have had a total of 48 broken bones in my life from various incidents, now that I do less extreme activities, break something 1 or twice per year.
    I have found that sleep and good food are the best cure.

3. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Ouch!

I sprained my ankle about 2 1/2 years ago in a bicycle accident (completely ruptured my ATFL and severely tore my tibiocalcaneal ligament) that required 2 surgeries to repair them. Despite a 6 months of rehab and strength training the pain is still there. I can only imagine how much pain you are in, must be pretty intense. I can only wish you a speedy recovery.

It is also very nice to have family members take care of you, I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have a wife to help care for me. Your situation is worse than mine by 10 fold.

How did your injury happen? I am sure you will have a gnarly scar especially since you broke both your tibia and fibula. Probably 2 scars. Take some pictures after they remove the first cast to keep a record of how nasty it looks, and to gross out your friends.

I hope you start to feel better very soon.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have broken my right ankle 5 times , and sprained it some many that i literally no longer feel it when it happen.
    I am on waiting list for complete reconstruction surgery for both my ankles.

the most 'fun' fracture was when I broke BOTH my wrists.
    couldnt tie shoe laces. couldnt get dressed. couldnt hold xbox game pad...
    8 weeks of hell

one thing you will notice is that you will right away know when weather changes :p

5. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

how the hell do you break so many bones.

Of all the crazy painful stuff I have done in my life I have never broken any bones. nor has my brother who has done even crazier stuff.

7. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

holy crap bud, wat in the world do u do?

human wrecking ball maybe??

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

I was taking a left turn on my bike, following a car that had already taken a right turn. The right turning car slammed on their brakes to avoid hitting a running who ran across the street and didn't look. I then hit the car that slammed on their brakes. Luckily I wasn't going very fast, and I just got a few bruises. I didn't even fall off my bike.

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I jumped my bike over a tabletop ramp (Overshot it, going to fast), and flatlanded on my feet from 8 feet up shattering both ankles. I've broken my wrist once also, and my arm, never a leg.
    Still have the wheelchair:cool:

11. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Thanks guys.
    I was walking down slate stairs that were uneven and slippery. I was holding on to the handrail, felt myself sliding and made a split second decision to save my skull, putting my entire body weight on to the left leg. Had to be rescued by the Hollywood Emergency Rescue Squad. Very dramatic.
    I'm more afraid of falling now with crutches, but I hear that you get to learn how to walk.
    The worst is just lying in bed, with no energy to even get on MR:eek: The plan was to stay in bed and write my book, but it ain't happening. The drugs are taking it's toll and I am definitely cutting back.

How did you cope with 6 weeks of non-weight bearing, fatigue, inertia...

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Drugs...err pain medication.

Lots and lots of sleep, your body will just make you zonk out suddenly

Video Games

Laptop with wireless - with some one there to catch it when suddenly fall asleep.
    ---

With crutches , take it really really slow, it is very embarrassing and painful when the crutches slide out from you, and you fall down hard. It does help to have a strong buddy walk next you on your weak side to catch in case stumble.
    Eventually you will become good enough with them to be able to stumble about on one good leg while holding coffeecup in one hand :p , or build your own coffee cup attachment for the crutches.

Don't use stairs, really don't. take the long way around if need to. Crutches + stairs = ouchies.

13. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Good advice. Sorry you had to become an expert in this.
    Thank god this isn't happening in the winter.
    I'd take photos but don't want to scare the kiddies on MR.

14. emmawu macrumors 6502

I've had four discs removed from my spine and both knees replaced due to congenital problems. (Ain't we got fun)

The first knee replaced was non-cemented and I had to be non weight bearing for six weeks. Use a walker not crutches especially when alone. Take up any throw rugs or area rugs you'll be around.

Accept any help you can get because you'll need it. Wear loose and comfy clothes. Shorts, tee shirts, sweats. Rest and remember ice is your friend. Keep an ice pack in the freezer. Sit in a chair with arm rests; I found a recliner worked best. When I was alone, I used a small back pack for books, drinks, etc to carry. Keep the leg elevated.

Be kind to yourself. I know a walker sounds like a drag (it is) but I found crutches to be really scary especially when alone and it's harder to correct a mistake. Go to all your physical therapy appointments and believe you will get well. And yes, you can be a weather forecaster. :rolleyes:

15. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

If you are afraid of crutches use a wheelchair most of the time until you feel comfortable on the crutches. No shame in wheeling around and it is much safer. Are you having strange dreams from the pain medicine? I remember when my doctor prescribed mine (vicodin) I fell asleep and had the strangest dreams. Must be the narcotics.

16. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I also find your username sort of Ironic Legolamb. You should change it to Brokelegolamb:D

17. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

^^
    Yeah, I should change my name to Brokenlegolamb.
    Not strange dreams per se. In the hospital when I was on a morphine drip, I kept hearing bass guitar chords. Kinda like the OS Startup but the guitar version. :cool: Now on morphine pills I just conk out for a couple of hours.

It's amazing how many cafes and places do not have handicap/wheelchair access. Or, they have handicap access to get in, but not to the bathroom.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when I broke a leg years ago I found the effect of the drugs to be worse than the pain from not taking them.....of course my break wasn't as bad as yours and no doubt you've more pain to deal with

19. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

So true. I can always tell when the rain is a comin'. left forearm compund fracture. Yes I have seen and touched the bones in me arm.

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

When I broke my lower back ( L5, sacrum and ilium) I spent 3 months in wheelchair. then another 18 months in physio/rehab learning to walk again .

One thing I noticed that very few places are easily accessible by wheelchair even though law requires public places to be.
    things like the wheelchair bathroom being too small to actually get a wheelchair in to it.
    tables/desks too low or too high to use in wheelchair.
    wheelchair ramps that are way too steep to actually attempt (will post a pic of the one at my uni)

the worst is when you are on crutches on public transport and no one offers you a seat.