Broken Leopard install: password forgotten, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andych, Nov 18, 2007.

1. andych macrumors member

andych

i tried install leopard on my dads system..half way through the install thecomputer said the disk was dirty so i ejected it and it then asked for my dads password..problem is he cant remember it and now his computer wont start up without it....dos anyone know how to bypass this so i can try and reinstall?/..
    thanks you

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If it won't boot without the password I think that it means your Dad has set a firmware passord.

Does the password box look like this

[​IMG]

If so that is the firmware password and there is only one way of getting around it I know of, see here, specifically
    This is by no means guarneeteed to work and I havn't perosnally tested it (read BIG WARNING)

EDIT: If it doesn't look like that see below in lamina post.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Insert the restore disk that came with the computer, hold down C until it boots to the disk, then go to the Utilities menu (in the installer) and select Reset password (I beileve).

I know there is a way to do it within the installer. You can probably do it from the Leopard installer as well.

Sorry for the non-difinitive answers.

Edit: Didn't consider what xUKHCx wrote. However, if it's a firmware password, he'd likely remember it isnce he wouldn eed ot enter it every time the computer boots, no?

4. andych thread starter macrumors member

andych

no...its just the normal username and password boxes

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well then see what lamina wrote.

The firmware password only kicks in when you try to do something funky such as boot key sequences or install an OS.