Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
The current leading story is "Steve Jobs at Apple Town Hall Meeting on Google, Adobe, Next iPhone, 2010 Macs and More". Click to 'read more' and get taken to

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/857406/

and now if you want to see what the Wired article says, clicking on the Wired linky takes you to

www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/googles-dont-be-evil-mantra-is-********-adobe-is-lazy-apples-steve-jobs/

which is clearly broken. You have to go back to the MR front page to get the original unbroken link. Obviously a vBulletin auto-censorship problem, but is it really necessary to censor the inside of HTML web anchors?

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
I can also see the strange page instead of the normal front page which was there a few hours ago for me.

I wonder if someone has had a little hacking fun of some kind.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Obviously a vBulletin auto-censorship problem, but is it really necessary to censor the inside of HTML web anchors?

In short, yes.

In long, the auto censor is used to block profanity as well as spam/dangerous urls. So yes.

Occansionally this poses a problem like the example above but it is possible to manage the urls so that go to the correct location.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
FYI, I just changed the link in the post related to the front page story to point a bit.ly link-shortened version of the Wired URL that avoids the forum profanity filter.

We don't have an easy way to make the forum profanity filter ignore URLs.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thank god MacRumors censors. We have to think of the children. :rolleyes:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
FYI, I just changed the link in the post related to the front page story to point a bit.ly link-shortened version of the Wired URL that avoids the forum profanity filter.

Dr Q's gonna be on you now. "Don't circumvent the MR profanity filters!" :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.