Broken Logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeeeich, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Zeeeich macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My early 2012 MBP has started to act weird, never waking up from sleep mode, freezing randomly and sometimes shows what I belive to be logic board issues. I am trying to reinstall Yosemite to see if it makes it any better. I recently installed a SSD HD in the machine, could that have anything to do with the issues?

Attached is an example of the screen issues that occur.

Worth it to try to fix this or simply buy a new MBP? (Its a pity they dont provide the matte screen anymore :( )

Many thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. evansu macrumors newbie

It's not the logic board that is broken, rather the graphic card only.

3. Zeeeich thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went to an Apple authorized retailer to get the issue fixed according to the exchange program.

I got the logic board exchanged but when I booted it up after the repair the problem remains. I still get graphics issues on the computer, sometimes it dissappears and then comes back (see attachment).

I am going to take it back to the retailer for another fix - any advice?

Best,
    /Carl

Attached Files:

4. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Well I'm not sure if the replacement program carries a warranty on the entire machine for 90 days but if that is the case your entire computer is under warranty and now you can get this issue fixed for free.

What does your pickup receipt say? It should state if it comes with a warranty or not.

5. Zeeeich thread starter macrumors newbie

I dropped off the computer again to have it fixed and they changed the logic board another second time. However, the screen issues remain although now they seem to be more tied to how the screen is aligned (if I flex it backwards the flickering might stop and vice versa).

It seems totally random as to when the noise/flickering/distortions appear. The technician said that the problem lies in the display.

Could it be the case that the overheating from the broken logic board could have affected the connections to the display, and that could be the reason for the distortions?

Any advice on how to proceed? (Buying a new screen with the risk of paying 800 dollars down the drain does not feel like an option). I think I've read somewhere that under EU-law there is a 2 strikes for repairs then replacement option, would that be viable to pursue?

Many thanks in advance,
    /Carl

6. duervo, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It's the display cable or its connection on the display itself. Exacerbation of the issue by display movement is pretty solid proof of that.

Also, multiple repairs of the same component, as far as I know, is what that applies to. Although interpretation of specifics of its application is probably up to your service provider. Most would probably replace after multiple repairs to a system, even if it were different parts repaired each time. That's seems to be the most common interpretation anyway.

If you paid for the repairs up to this point, then it's probably safe to say that those replaced parts are perfectly fine. So, if they replace the display, you should only be charged the difference between display and logic board replacement. You shouldn't have to pay for an entire display replacement. After all, payment of problem resolution is the target here, not payment for them to do poor troubleshooting.