Broken MAC!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tallestof4, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tallestof4 macrumors member

If I use a relatives student discount and my mac has a breakdown, can I take it in for service?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

false advertising...

i shouldn't answer you

you should be able to get it fixed just fine, make sure you register it to you.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

why did you use a relatives student discount? did you buy it online or at a store (none of this matters to your question, I'm just curious)

5. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

sry for the mispelling of mac (got a little CAPS CRAZY). and sry for the thread name ( guess i should have put ? instead of !'s).

So If i have to take it into the store will they be like "Your not a Student!"? how will it go down?

6. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

Im not a student and i want a good discount (i didnt buy it yet, Im gonna wait for the aluminum one)

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

have you ever tried to buy one (on your own) online? ... i think you might be surprised :)

give it a try, just don't put in your payment info and buy it

8. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

They should, I used my moms education discount to buy mine and i've had the topcase replaced 2 times...and about to go in for a third

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They can't tell that you bought it with a discount. So worries. My dad, cousins, and I all bought new Macs this year with my discount. All have had to go the Genius once and they never said anything.

10. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

thats what i was planning on doing...:D

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well then why did you mention the relatives?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just want to point out I've always bought the computer at the retail store, so I don't know if they attach names to purchases online. Maybe mark it as a gift?

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Your title suggests that your Apple is broken at this moment in time. Your "!!!!!" suggests that it is life or death. Neither of these are the case so you are on time-out.

14. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

sry bout that, should have used ?'s instead. If I mark it as a gift, does the student discount still apply?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Let's put it this way. Apple doesn't care who buys it and who owns it. When you bring it in for repair, if the records say otherwise, just say you own it and your whatever relative bought it. Simple as that. They don't know how much you paid, just that you now have it and the warranty started the day it was bought. Of if you have the receipt and you live at the same address the changes can be done faster.

My laptop I was going to get pay $xxxx for the regular. Father decided to foot the bill for the HR which was only on the HR for it was $xxx more. Somehow they thought it was my father's computer. I went to the store and told them it was mine and the change was done immediately.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Who says that they'll even be aluminum?

That's borderline fraud, anyway.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It isn't like Apple is going to spend money on going after people for student discount fraud.

Heck, that would make them just like General Motors -- who is going after $450k in employee discounts improperly used. And advertising at the same time employee discounts for everyone.