Broken MacBook Air - Where To Repair? - UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AX338, Feb 29, 2016.

1. AX338 macrumors regular

AX338

2011 Macbook Air screen flickers like crazy when you raise/lower the lid. I understand some wires are loose around the silver surround of the lid effecting the screen.

I think it will need a totally new lid part, should I take it to Apple to repair?...one high street repair business said Apple 'cap' its repair costs and would be cheaper than using an independent?

Am anticipating a £300+ bill....

Anyone used Apple for a costly repair to an out of warranty laptop?

2. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I'd suggest getting quotes. Apple Store might be cheaper but ask them for a quote as you are looking around at other places. Solutions Inc (South of England) are good but not much cheaper than Apple Store. There are some smaller repair locations. I am guessing you are out of any warranty/support so as long as it is repaired well and resolves the issue, you don't need it to be Apple Certified ??

3. AX338 thread starter macrumors regular

AX338

Yes thanks Geekguys out of warranty...I see these still go for good money on Ebay even those advertised as DOA and sounding much worse than mine...if I can get £300 for it and take into account a £300 repair I really should consider just buying new.

Will hunt around for some quotes.