Broken MacBook LCD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roddenshaw, Jul 13, 2008.

1. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have rather stupidly managed to crack my MacBook's LCD and I am now looking at options for replacing it.

Looking on Ebay it would appear that for around £120 I can buy an LED TFT for a MacBook Air which, I have been told, is rather better than the TFT used in the MacBook (which, to be fair, isn't the best screen I've ever used). I am therefore wondering whether or not the 13.3" screen from a MBA will fit my MacBook (and whether or not the connectors are the same, etc).

I realise that replacing a MB screen isn't the easiest thing to do, but I doubt that I can afford to have Apple to it so I'm going to have a go...

Any advice that you may have would be appreciated.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Well, yes you're bang on right that it'll cost you the moon! But still talk to an Apple Tech just to have an idea!

And I dont see any issues with you fitting an MBA screen except 2:
    1. MBA screen is supposed to be slimmer!
    2. LED and CFL lighting's power requirements aren't exactly the same and that's a widely known fact!

So I recommend you do a good research before spending that amount of money!

BTW, how did you crack it?:(

3. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I was staying with a friend last night and put the machine beside the bed after using it (which I wouldn't normally do at home). When I got out of bed this morning I put my foot on it and whilst I didn't put all of my weight on it there was enough of my weight on it to crack the screen.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

OMG.... I'm so so sorry for this to happen to you and for you to hear the dreaded cracking sound cuz of ur own feet.
    Dude... you are really strong to still be in the forum. I'd be banging my head by now!

5. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm trying to view this as an opportunity. If I can upgrade the screen as a result of my foolishness then maybe it won't all have been for nothing... :)

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Thats gr8:D......
    But do make sure that you get a genuine Apple or if not genuine than take extra measures to check the qlty of the screen!

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Ouch....That really hurt.....I had the same problem once but i stepped on my glasses.....!

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Check the ifixit.com guides for replacing the screen. Just choose the part you need then click on the installation instructions on the right hand side of the screen. They do not always have all parts for all models in stock but the process should be similar in all Macbooks.

This is a Core Duo Macbook guide.

Edit: Another thought for switching a MB Air screen with a MB. Though it has already been mentioned that the power requirements may differ (in this only voltage that really matters, as long as amperage is lower on each rail). Another factor to consider is the actual pin out for display cables may differ. So that even if voltages match and the connectors fit the actual data lines for running the display may differ.

9. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the MBA screen wasn't compatible according to my research, so I have installed an LG panel instead. It's working perfectly and the colour is rather better than that of the old Samsung panel that Apple installed in the first place.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

How much did it cost? Glossy? Contrast?

11. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

how long did the install take you and what directions did you follow. I've done this a few times and it truly was a bee-hive and half to get it done. Can you post pics? Did you break anything? Was it fun?