Broken Macbook, need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trix03, Jan 31, 2008.

1. trix03 macrumors newbie

Hi there guys

i am looking at purchasing a broken macbook at an enticing price. to quote the seller: "The battery isn't recognized (although still works), the headphone jack doesn't work, and the display is finicky. Besides that, everything else is fine. "

how much do u guys think i'd have to put in to get this thing fixed, is it worth my time and money? its a macbook with 2.0 ghz and 1gb of ram, just the combo drive i believe and 80gb harddrive.

thanks a lot

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

(Not worth it) x 3. You'd be better off saving $900 and buying a refurbished Macbook from a reputable dealer.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

sounds like a logic board problem which = big big bucks to fix. Those things are a pain to take apart. If it was just the display, maybe, becase it may be a invertor board problem or a cheap cable, but all that other stuff makes it sound like the logic board is messed up which is a 400 - 600 dollar part alone.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

They are expensive, but they aren't that hard to take out. Intel Macs are dead easy to disassemble compared to their PPC counterparts.

But yeah, it's not worth it. Look for something with a dud screen or broken case parts.

5. trix03 thread starter macrumors newbie

does 'logic board' mean motherboard?

what if i somehow got apple care on it?

i'd be gettin it for under 200 cad.

but i think i get the drift around here, just thought it was a great deal atm.

thanks a lot dudes.

6. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If it's still under the 1 year warranty you could send it into Apple for them to fix it for you. If it's not still under warranty it's not worth the money and hassle to try to replace the logic board. I would buy a refurbished one from Apple for a decent price.