Broken Macbook Pro (3 foot fall)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bear4life69, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Bear4life69 macrumors newbie

Hi. I hope this has not been posted about. I saw some that were close to my problem but I couldn't relate the info to my situation. You guys seem very helpful and I would greatly appreciate some direction.

A few days ago my macbook pro fell from my desk from about 3 feet off the ground. I picked it up and it worked fine for a few minutes then it froze and I turned it off. when I turned it on there was a clicking noise that wouldn't stop. My roommate googled it and the results said it was probably that the hard drive was damaged or broken. I go to school in st. Mary's and there are no apple stores (or anything really) around here and I need it for my classes so I figured it would go quickly if I just fixed the hard drive. I ordered a new hard drive and installed it today in place of the old one, which after researching it seems like I will not be able to get my data from it. I put in the install disk(which was for my other computer - a 2010 or 2009 imac) to install snow leopard on it, and held down option, the cd thing came up and i selected it and was waiting for further directions when my comp started beeping 3 times and waiting a few seconds and beeping again. It kept doing this until I turned it off and when I turn it back on it does it none stop again

I know this is a hefty post but I would greatly appreciate some help. a few things to clarify. I am a newbie, so sorry about that. also I didn't have a warranty to take it to apple, and even if I did it would have run out by now. My macbook pro is a 13" early 2011. it came with lion and no install disk. There are only a few things that I could think of that could be a problem based on what I read from the internet.
    1. install disk is for iMac and won't work
    2. install disk is too old and won't work
    3. ram is broken or loose
    I am going to open it up when I get to my room tonight and check the RAM. I am also probably going to take it to bestbuy tomorrow (because its the closest thing here) and see if they will do anything. At this point I know it will cost me if there is a serious problem I just want it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for any responses.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

three beeps means bad RAM -
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2341
    or if they are long beeps and then short ?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538
    then that's a firmware thing (which may well be unhappy with not having the right disk for the hardware).

it may just be that your DIMMs got shaken loose during the fall, or while you were doing the HD install. Or they might be damaged, but I'd check the seating first, then try the DIMMs one at a time.

3. Bear4life69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried taking out the RAM and putting it back in to make sure nothing was physically wrong with it. I didn't see anything and it isn't loose. could it be broken? or is it not the RAM? as in is it the os install disk?

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

An OS install disc for an iMac will not work in a MacBook. You need the disc that came with the MacBook or a retail version of the original or later version of the OS.

5. Bear4life69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya my brother told me it might not work because of that. I took it to best buy today and the guy just repeated what you guys said. I am just going to have it taken to apple. Thanks for the help. I will let you know about the updates. I just wish apple changed two things.
    1. they made it so that the computer had very unique alerts for each problem that might be wrong with it while it is booting up.
    2. that they carried os install disks...I really don't understand this part...

thank you for the help