Broken Macbook Pro Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JshLnsctt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. JshLnsctt macrumors newbie

I bought a broken Macbook Pro off of eBay. 2010 model unibody. The laptop was listed as working sometimes and other times not, so I messaged the seller and got further details. He told me that he wasn't really sure what was up but that one of the water indicators had been set off when the genius bar looked at it, he told me that to his knowledge no water had been spilled into it, and that if it had it had been it was assumed to not be the same problem because it wouldn't have been recently (he had it no where near liquid). After purchasing the laptop, there are very minute signs of water damage including one very faintly pink water indicator. Here is my breakdown of the issues it has, and note I do have a brand new magsafe charger.

-Without magsafe charger plugged in if I push the battery indicator nothing happens.
    -When I plug in the magsafe charger it turns green.
    -With the charger if I push the battery indicator it flashed five times (indicating a bad battery).
    -When I push the power button nothing happens. The magsafe charger also has no reaction, it simply stays green.

The way everything seems to looks to me it is like the logic board is good, though possibly the battery is not. Does the macbook pro 2010 model draw all power through the battery even while it is plugged into a charger? Does it sound like the battery is the issue, or could the logic board still have failed?

Thanks!

2. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

Try disconnecting the battery indicator board from the logic board. It's a small connector around the bottom right corner. If your machine starts up with it disconnected, replace it and you should be fine.

3. JshLnsctt thread starter macrumors newbie

If I disconnect the indicator board I have the same issues

----------

The laptop does have:
    "Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
    Estimated Expiration Date: July 25, 2013
    Learn about Apple's coverage information for your product"

Though I am assuming apple would not cover the laptop as one of the water indicators is pink (even though it is not fully red)?

4. JshLnsctt thread starter macrumors newbie

I called the express lane and they said that they will send me a prepaid box and check it out all free of charge through Applecare (they transferred it to me at the beginning of the call).

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

That's nice of them.