Broken MacBook Pro, is repairing a good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dryice0077, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dryice0077 macrumors newbie

I have a broken MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2007) model i got from a friend.
    2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB Ram
    120GB Hard Drive

When i took it in i plugged it in and the light on my charger turned green, even though there was no battery power.

I took it to apple and they told me that the logic board was broken and the screen was cracked. Would it be worth it to repair it (just the logic board) and use it as a media center, or should i repair the whole thing.

iResQ lists the logic board repair service as $500
    and the screen is $299

is it worth it, or should i just sell it on eBay for parts?

2. auero macrumors 65816

Apple often offers a repair service going by "Tiers". My friend had everything fixed on his macbook pro (logic board, ram) for a one lump sum. Check to see what they want to fix it. I'm sure if you fixed it and its in decent shape you'd still even be able to sell it on ebay for a good price or use it as a media center as you said.

3. dryice0077 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, the apple repair is $1240. thats not ganna work

4. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Yowzuh. I guess check the resale value on that particular MBP. If there is enough profit, it might be worth the repair. Use the $1240 return + profits towards a new MBP.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If thats the best price you can find, then I would sell it. Refurb 2.4 MBP are 1299 and 13" are 999, both with a one year warranty.

6. dryice0077 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. jrhmac macrumors newbie

My logic board for my 2008 version of the Macbook Pro died and I've been debating about whether or not to replace it or to get a new one. Your MBP is even older, and I think replacing would be a better idea.

Especially since it's rumored that a new MBP is bound to come out soon.

8. bombwithrobots macrumors newbie

for $200 more you can get a brand new macbook, faster processor, double hard drive size and better graphics.

i'd do that rather than drop 700 on a 2007 machine

9. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I'd sell it as it is on ebay. Someone will want it for spare parts and it's too pricey to get it fixed based on what you've been quoted.

Either that or keep looking for a replacement LB that's economically viable online, you may get lucky.

10. auero macrumors 65816

See that can't be right. When my mothers macbook pro's logic board went they quoted us for like $1200. When I went back and said I'll be doing the repair, it only cost $400 because it was a flat rate fee. I'll try and find the invoices and stuff but I remember seeing "Tier 4" Repair.