Broken Macbook Pro Keyboard (Need opinions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RonDeGregorio, Nov 16, 2011.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Hey all,

Just got some very sad news....Apple just called me and informed me that the reason my macbook pro's keyboard will not work, is due to liquid damage.

Now I have no idea how it happened, as I didn't spill anything on it (I would admit to it), but alas, there is nothing that can be done outside of paying 800 to fix it.

I have some funds saved up to purchase another macbook pro, but I am going to need to sell the broken one to get some extra money.

What are my options to sell? Anyone know a good place?

Right now, I am going to probably sell it on Ebay, and sell it with the disclaimer of a broken keyboard. Everything else works fine on the machine, including the trackpad. Only thing not working is the keyboard.

If I chose to do that, how much do you reasonably think I could get for it?

Thanks guys,
    Ron

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Can't give you help on a price; check eBay or Craigslist for other broken MBPs.

Did Apple tell you the immersion sensors were tripped? I'd be leery of selling it on eBay as just a broken keyboard if Apple said there was liquid damage. If the person that purchased it takes it to Apple to get fixed and they find out that it was exposed to liquid and you didn't reveal that when selling, they may be able to sue. And liquid exposure is a tricky thing, because although right now it's just the keyboard not working, liquid damage can take time to show up and things can suddenly go very wrong.

Just my 2¢.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

wonder if you could just use an external keyboard until you can afford to replace it? Or is there more to the problem than just the keyboard?

4. djpuma macrumors regular

look on ebay for a top case for the macbook pro or on different websites.
    I spilled coffee on my keyboard (didn't touch the logic board) and bought a top case to replace my coffee filled keyboard
    Cost $170, but way cheaper than having apple do it.
    you gotta pull the entire logic board out and there's a grounding cable underneath the speaker grill, which was a bitch to deal with, but she's been running fine ever since.

5. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thank you for the replies everyone

I am not going to mess with repairing it myself, I just cant hassle with that, but awesome job fixing yours!

I would include in the description that it is due to water damage, and that it comes AS IS.

I will use an external keyboard for now, as everything works on it except the keyboard, and I will just have to deal with that until I can save up some money to purchase a new one.

I wonder if apple will allow me to transfer my apple-care to my new macbook considering I still have over 2 years left on it.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If nothing else is broken, you can have it fixed at an authorized apple service provider. Should be much less than $800. Or you do it yourself, as djpuma suggested.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Applecare is transferable in that if you sell your computer you can transfer it to the new owner. I don't believe you can transfer it from one computer to another. It can't hurt to ask, though.