Broken MacBook Pro Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbgc, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jbgc macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

I recently dropped an iPod touch onto my (closed) MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010). Unfortunately, it hit right on the :apple: logo, putting a nasty little crack on it (the one that lights up when you turn on/open it). After I opened the MBP, I was glad to see that no damage had been done to the screen - or so I thought.

When I turned it on, there was several small horizontal bars and a one big vertical bar (about 1-2 inches thick) of dead/damaged pixels on the screen. It is unusable unless I hook it up to an external display, which defeats the purpose of the laptop.

I called Apple and even though it is still under warranty, it is considered "accidental damage" and they will do nothing for me. The lady I spoke to told me to check out other 3rd party repair and such.

I am looking for places online that will repair it for a decent price or a detailed guide & parts on how to do it myself (if cheaper). I have fixed many iPhones/iPod touches before and even a 13 inch white MacBook so it cant be too hard.

If anyone knows of a good place that can fix this for me for a good price then I would be very thankful. I will attach some pictures of the tragedy.

James

Attached Files:

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

You say this as though you feel this was somehow not an accident and that Apple should cover it. ifixit.com should be all the instruction you need for replacing the LCD screen yourself if you've got the stones. Good luck.

3. Bushmaster macrumors newbie

crackedmacscreen.com

I just used these guys to replace the glass on the screen on my 2009 Macbook pro and they did a great job. Plus, if you break it again, they will do future repairs at a much lower cost. I looked at doing this myself, but it was more than I wanted to deal with.

4. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

I went to a local Mac repair shop like bushmaster talked about called New Age Computers. They simply replaced the LCD for $200. The Apple logo is still cracked but hey, it's much better than $700.

Thanks for the help.