Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blitzhaeve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
So first my disc drive broke on it's own. This is a completely different story apart from the broken macbook. Note that it's the same macbook though. So it broke on it's own. Do guys think apple will fix that?

Moving onto the Broken Macbook LCD. Some guy decided it would be funny to kick my back with my macbook in it. And you can probably guess what happened there. I know my warranty does not cover it, but how much will the screen itself cost? I am going to be fixing it on my own. \

Thank guys.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well if you have the Non-unibody MB, I've seen the LCD panels for < $100 on ebay. Check out ifixit.com for a guide on how to switch the LCD panel. They will be significatly more if you got the UniMB since you have to replace the entire top LCD panel.

Apple will probably see that you replaced your LCD panel and could possibly void your warranty(If any is left). Get your LCD fixed and take it into the Apple Store to see if they can fix the optical drive for you.

b-e.n

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
For the LCD, i have a friend with a macbook pro (previous generation). He dropped his backpack with his macbook pro in it and the screen had a ton of dead pixels. He brought it to the apple store and a genius told him that it wasn't covered under the warranty. My friend then said that a laptop is meant to be brought around and that the LCD panel is a major design flaw. They then replaced it for free. It's worth a shot. If they deny it at first, try and find some way around.

I'm pretty sure they'll replace the disk drive.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Well if you have the Non-unibody MB, I've seen the LCD panels for < $100 on ebay. Check out ifixit.com for a guide on how to switch the LCD panel.

I disagree. Do not follow their advice unless you want to take part in many unnecessary steps and waste time.

screenintek has a decent guide, however, they leave out that you need to remove the beige clips from the bezel and put them back in the frame before trying to snap the bezel back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.