Broken Macbook screen, can I replace it with a screen from another manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisbru, May 8, 2008.

1. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

First off, be careful what you buy from ebay. The saying of if it is too good to be true usually applies.

Second, it isn't just as simple as swapping out the display. It has to fit in the casing, it has to interface properly (you'll probably lose the ability to adjust brightness).

3. chrisbru thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Thanks for your insight. However, I figure the ebay risk is worth it in this case.

I know it has to fit properly and everything... That's why I'm asking about this specific screen. Would it work?

Thanks!

4. sgarringer macrumors regular

No. Wrong resolution, not to mention its a different connector to the system board. LCD screens almost always need to be replaced with one from the exact same model.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

the problem is the return policy with ebay and users are scary. Why if you buy one and it does not work? Do you know how to open up the laptop and work with it? Do you have apple care on it? But hey it is your risk to take

6. chrisbru thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

I do have Apple Care... And they want to charge me $750 to have it done. Which is out of the question. I'm completely confident that I can change the screen myself... I just want to make sure it is going to work once I put it in there :)

I'll probably go for one that has the same part number... It would just have been nice to save some money.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Maybe because that is the going price for a monitor, not $30.

8. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

What is the guy rating at ebay? Does he have a return policy? Did you check you local phonebook for maybe people that repair computers/laptops?

9. chrisbru thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

No, it's actually because Apple likes to make as much money as possible on repairs.

The EXACT screen that comes in MBs sells for about $250. So $500 installation fee? I think not!

I think you are all way too skeptical of ebay. I use it all the time, and have never gotten screwed. I only buy from sellers who are highly rated. This was not a post asking you to evaluate ebay, or how much I should have to spend. It was merely a question on which screens work.

That being said, anyone with positive insight as to how I can get this screen replaced as cheaply as possible would be wonderful! I run it with an external monitor now, but I'd like to have it be mobile with me when classes resume in August. The screen started with a small crack, but now has spread so much that it is unusable.