broken macbook screen!!! oh nooo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by keith1569, Jan 9, 2010.

1. keith1569 macrumors newbie

oh so i was sitting down and i leaned over and my macbook fell on the ground about a foot and hit the white part of the screen..when i picked it up this is what happened..you cannot feel the scratch so it is under the screen..any help or what to tell apple..my computer is stillunder warranty for about another 2 months also..

thanks

keith

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple will not replace or repair that under warranty. It does not cover accidental damage and it's amazingly obvious that's the result of a drop or heavy knock.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Unfortunately your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage

Edit: Beaten again by robbieduncan

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yea, you're going to have to pay upwards of $399.99 to get the screen replaced. When you order it (through your certified mac dealer, of course.) make sure he buys you the Model 00009C5F or 00009C89 screen. These are the glass screens currently being put into the MBP's. It might cost a bit extra but it looks positively beautiful.

5. keith1569 thread starter macrumors newbie

just another photo...sooo i am pretty much screwed?? what about buying a lcd from ifixit or something and doing it myself>

Attached Files:

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A screen for a unibody MacBook is about $400 at the low end (from iFixIt)

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

That will void your warranty and be a poor choice. Buy it through your mac dealer and get him to install it, but specify which screen he buys. IFixIt will have no idea what the hell they send you. Your mac dealer will buy directly from apple.

8. TrickyD88 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    A friend of mine recently cracked her screen the same way you did and came to me for the solution.
    I found a great tutorial which is step by step and very detailed information. You can trust this website, I used it myself.

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,macbook.shtml

To reassemble just do the directions backwards.
    Easy as pie! Just follow the directions EXACTLY, be careful!
    Took me under an hour so not a long repair, and its not hard either so don't sweat it, just make sure to take your time and follow directions carefully.

As for purchasing the screen itself, I got one from ebay for $70.
    The seller who sold it to me was "Hootoodeals"

http://myworld.ebay.ca/hootoodeals/

They will ask you for your MMOD number which is located in your display's properties (Apple menu>System preferences>Displays>Color>Open Profile> Then scroll down to MMOD). If you can't see enough to get this information, plug into an external and you can check it all.

The screen took just under 2 weeks to get here and it was in perfect condition. LG brand and protective bubbles and sheets galore. My kitten loved the bubble wrap it came with ;-) .

I definitely wouldn't recommend taking it anywhere for an expensive repair, save some money and do it yourself.
    All the repair shops do is rip people off, it's disgusting.
    And I also wouldn't really worry about the remainder of your warranty... 2 months isn't really that long and you would probably lose 2 weeks of that sending it to get repaired anyway.
    Hope this information is useful for you, and good luck!

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Despite not suggesting this as it voids your warranty, I would also advise against letting your pets play with plastic packaging.

10. TrickyD88 macrumors newbie

Well it's his call.
    I was just saying that the installation went smoothly for me and that it is very simple and saves about $300.
    Also, like I said about his warranty, 2 months is barely anything, and the month and a half left after getting it repaired is even less.
    $400+ coupled with taxes (maybe), and shipping are just ridiculous prices for a computer that costs less than $1000, it's highway robbery.

And against all odds the cat also miraculously survived.

11. fluffyx macrumors 6502

I would like to emphasize that this is not a do-it-yourself repair. There's not a more unpleasant repair that you can do on a MacBook.

I don't come on Mac Rumors Forums to toot our own horn, but our MacBook LCD replacement is $289 including parts, labor, tax, and shipping.