Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lians60

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Hey all, my macbook seems to have a broken hinge, the left side seems to be the problem. Do you think Apple would fix it under warranty? Worse case senario has anyone ever paid to get there Macbook White Hinges replaced by apple? How much did it cost. And finally what are some reputable online repair centers to fix the hinge if i decide not to go through the apple route. Thanks in advance.

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Apple has held mixed views on broken hinges. I'd absolutely take the computer to your Apple Store (if one is near you) and see if it's eligible for warranty service. If it's a "covered repair," you should get a quick (2-4 day, perhaps) screen replacement, free of charge! If they consider it "accidental damage," they should quote a price of $430 for Tier 2 Accidental Damage. :(

If they quote accidental damage pricing, definitely call up your local Apple-Authorized Service Providers. Be warned, they may not be able to give an exact price quote over the phone; this is not a common problem, and they may need to do some research before discovering what parts need replacement.

If nobody local will do this cost-effectively, you should find several mail-in service providers with competitive pricing. Parts, labor, and shipping should not be more than $250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.