Broken MbP screen bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chfilm, Nov 30, 2018.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

AB9EA1FC-6A24-4652-8114-F8A5A0142145.jpeg I was gently cleaning my girlfriend‘s MacBook screen with a fiber cloth when suddenly it made „crack“ and this happened!
    It‘s just over a year old :(
    Does anybody have any experiences with this issue and can guess how much a repair will cost? Will they replace the entire screen, or can they just fix this outer bezel? The screen itself is clearly intact, but this is awful and I‘m afraid of it breaking further now.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Apple will replace the entire screen.

It's expensive depending on the size but I'd guess $600 USD.

3. chabig macrumors 603

It can't really break any further since both ends of the the crack are already terminated. It's probably fine to leave it alone, but you could always put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

4. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

If there's no point of impact, then its obviously a defect. I know for Iphones that apple would replace it free of charge if its a hairline crack (such as this).

Did you have applecare? If its JUST over a year old, maybe apple will make a consideration? deffinitely bring it to a store.

5. Crossbow.Wallaby macrumors member

Crossbow.Wallaby

Depends where you live and if you have AppleCare+

This exact crack happened in the exact spot on my wifes 2017 13" NTB Pro, Apple wanted to replace the whole screen.

With AppleCare+ it is $129 AUD. Without it she was quoted $799 + any possible extras (whatever they would be).

She just ignores it now its literally in the same spot as yours, I wouldn't worry too much. Take it to them and see what they say anyway. Agree with the guys above just throw some tape over it.