Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GangstaHotdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Hey guys.
I was recently given this iPhone 4 16gb from a friend who had broken it.
The screen has lines and a black blob in the corner. See attached pics.
IMG_20130726_034853.jpg

IMG_20130726_034901.jpg

IMG_20130725_071728.jpg

IMG_20130725_071718.jpg
I also uploaded a video to Youtube HERE.
In the video you can see the colours are all wrong and such. Apologies in advance for the potato quality, btw.

So basically I want to know, is this definitely a broken screen? I imagined there would be apparent physical damage.
It was dropped on a hard floor if I remember correctly.
Something to note is that it's had a screen replacement before as you can probably tell from the red casing. So before I drop £20 on a replacement front assembly, could it possibly just be a loose cable from the drop? Or is it almost certainly broken?

Thanks, and sorry if this was kind of long winded.

GangstaHotdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
It looks like your friend used cheap parts for the screen replacement.

The LCD is bad. You need a new assembly.

I figured so.
It worked fine until it was dropped, so are the cheap parts okay for use assuming you're careful?
I don't really want to spend more if I don't -have- to, considering I could get the parts for £20.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
I figured so.
It worked fine until it was dropped, so are the cheap parts okay for use assuming you're careful?
I don't really want to spend more if I don't -have- to, considering I could get the parts for £20.

Definitely seems like a bad quality LCD from the looks of the video. Your LCD MAY not have broken. This can sometimes happen when the LCD flex cable is not properly secured to the logic board. Its could just be a matter of re-setting the LCD flex cable.

If that doesn't work, you can be 100% sure the LCD is broken/ damaged.

GangstaHotdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Definitely seems like a bad quality LCD from the looks of the video. Your LCD MAY not have broken. This can sometimes happen when the LCD flex cable is not properly secured to the logic board. Its could just be a matter of re-setting the LCD flex cable.

If that doesn't work, you can be 100% sure the LCD is broken/ damaged.

The black blob in the corner makes me think it probably is broken, but I'll try this if I can get hold of a small enough screwdriver. Thanks for the advice, guys!

GangstaHotdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Oops, I missed the black blob! Definitely a broken LCD then!

Okay thanks, so are the cheap £20 kits okay for use as long as you don't drop them? I assume they must be okay because they sell so many, but will I get problems down the line?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Okay thanks, so are the cheap £20 kits okay for use as long as you don't drop them? I assume they must be okay because they sell so many, but will I get problems down the line?

I recommend against the low quality LCD Digitizer assemblies. They have aftermarket LCD's which make for a lower quality display. A lot of the time the display can seem super light blue, flicker, or have other issues. The frame of the low quality assemblies is also usually installed with an adhesive instead of a strong bonding glue, so there may be several gaps between the frame and glass digitizer causing it to not fit right. The flex cables on the low quality assemblies are copies, so it can definitely cause some issues in the connection.

Just because they sell a lot of them does not mean they are that good. You get what you pay for when it comes to replacement parts.

GangstaHotdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I recommend against the low quality LCD Digitizer assemblies. They have aftermarket LCD's which make for a lower quality display. A lot of the time the display can seem super light blue, flicker, or have other issues. The frame of the low quality assemblies is also usually installed with an adhesive instead of a strong bonding glue, so there may be several gaps between the frame and glass digitizer causing it to not fit right. The flex cables on the low quality assemblies are copies, so it can definitely cause some issues in the connection.

Just because they sell a lot of them does not mean they are that good. You get what you pay for when it comes to replacement parts.

I guess I'll spend a bit more on a higher quality one from a reputable website, then. Still won't be complaining after getting the broken phone for free!
Thanks for all of the advice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.