Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMCDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
I've been happily using my Nvidia 980Ti in my Mac Pro for the past couple of months with no problems. Even survived a couple of updates within OS X. Most recent Security Update/iTunes update seems to have done nasty things to the Nvidia Web Driver. Driver Manager now reports that the Web Driver is not compatible and checking for an update says there is not one.

Anyone else having this problem?

OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021)
Nvidia Web Driver 346.02.03f01

Hope there is a new web driver on its way, but I'm not seeing any other reports of this problem so I'm wondering if it's just me.

Thanks,

Doug

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
I've been happily using my Nvidia 980Ti in my Mac Pro for the past couple of months with no problems. Even survived a couple of updates within OS X. Most recent Security Update/iTunes update seems to have done nasty things to the Nvidia Web Driver. Driver Manager now reports that the Web Driver is not compatible and checking for an update says there is not one.

OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021)

Hope there is a new web driver on its way, but I'm not seeing any other reports of this problem so I'm wondering if it's just me.

Thanks,

Doug

Yes, the security update changed the OS version from 14F27 to 14F1021. NVIDIA will update the driver very soon, probably today or tomorrow based on their past history.

In the mean time, try using this tool:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia®-webdriver-updaterapp/

if you want to force the 14F27 driver to load on 14F1021.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

DMCDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Yes, the security update changed the OS version from 14F27 to 14F1021. NVIDIA will update the driver very soon, probably today or tomorrow based on their past history.

In the mean time, try using this tool:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia®-webdriver-updaterapp/

if you want to force the 14F27 driver to load on 14F1021.

Thanks Asgorath,

I think I'll check out the tool you mention but at this point I I'll probably just wait for the Web Driver update. I've already pulled the card and thrown in my old ATI's since I need 2 monitors running and have to get work done. Hopefully Nvidia will have the update out by the weekend and I can reinstall the GTX980 then. Glad to know that it's not just some weird quirk I'd have to track down on my end.

Thanks..

D

Kaimuki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009

OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021)

Thanks,

Doug

I always perform a CCC backup prior to any update. That being said I installed the update as well and the computer reverted back to the Apple driver. I downloaded the 10.10.5 (14F Beta} 346.02.03b01 and installed this driver and the computer is working fine. I can still clone back to my previous install but I do not notice a difference in performance or stability, so I will probably just use this driver till the newer web drivers comes out.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015

OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021)

Thanks,

Doug

It's good practice to wait on updating OS builds until you've received notification from the web driver panel that an update is ready.

DMCDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Indeed waiting is a good idea. Just wasn't paying attention and clicked Yes when getting Apple's Upgrade notice. Sigh....

Reactions: rawweb

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I'll be posting a quick & dirty fix for this on our blog. I imagine the real driver will be out within 24 hours.

EFI flashed Maxwell cards still show screen output, just very laggy.

Reactions: rawweb

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
WHY in the hell does APPLE always breaks things that are not broken! :mad:

I'm really getting fed up with these security update SH*T. After an update you have to spend so many hours fixing things. Somewhere on this forums I read a comment and would dearly like to quote: "It just works ~ Steve Jobs / It just profits ~ Tim Cook"

NO cheers for Apple again this time....

;-/

Last edited:

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Why does the webdriver have a OS version number match, anyways? I can see where a Mavericks driver may not run under Yosemite, etc., but a security update that changes the version number of the OS breaking the video driver from loading?

NEVER had problem like that in Windows.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Why does the webdriver have a OS version number match, anyways? I can see where a Mavericks driver may not run under Yosemite, etc., but a security update that changes the version number of the OS breaking the video driver from loading?

NEVER had problem like that in Windows.

Because it's just plain BULLSH*T what Apple is doing atm.

Cheers

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
WHY in the hell does APPLE always breaks things that are not broken! :mad:

I'm really getting fed up with these security update SH*T. After an update you have to spend so many hours fixing things. Somewhere on this forums I read a comment and would dearly like to quote: "It just works ~ Steve Jobs / It just profits ~ Tim Cook"

NO cheers for Apple again this time....

;-/

It's a closed system. Windows is not. Just have to deal with it.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
ScreenCap%202015-10-23%20at%2015.57.46.jpg

ScreenCap%202015-10-23%20at%2015.58.10.jpg

Problem solved with driver 346.02.03f02, thanks NVIDIA!!!!

Cheers

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The new Apple slogan -- instead of "It just works", it's now "Just deal with it". I like it! :)

Apple's whole ethos since 1978 has been "Integrated hardware and software." Think of Apple as an Appliance company rather than a computer company.

It was reinstated when Jobs came back in 1997. I'm always surprised when people get ticked off by Apple's lack of new driver support or how closed their systems are. Apple is the anti-Microsoft.

If you want full on graphics support and full-on tinkering, you can go to Windows. Even look at them now, they are just starting to make their system more closed than before and easier to use for everyone.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Problem solved with driver 346.02.03f02, thanks NVIDIA!!!!

Cheers

Yeah, NVIDIA has been very good about releasing drivers when Apple changes the version number of the OS via a security update. Imagine this: what if the security update changed a binary interface that the driver depended on? The old driver would crash or panic your machine. This is the worst-case scenario and is the main reason I can see why NVIDIA would lock a driver to a specific OS version -- they've done all their testing on that exact build and can be confident that it works on that build, but not necessarily other ones.

If you want to risk it, you can always use the InsanelyMac tool to modify the version number baked into the driver.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Yeah, NVIDIA has been very good about releasing drivers when Apple changes the version number of the OS via a security update. Imagine this: what if the security update changed a binary interface that the driver depended on? The old driver would crash or panic your machine. This is the worst-case scenario and is the main reason I can see why NVIDIA would lock a driver to a specific OS version -- they've done all their testing on that exact build and can be confident that it works on that build, but not necessarily other ones.

If you want to risk it, you can always use the InsanelyMac tool to modify the version number baked into the driver.

Thanks for your insights, appreciated!

Cheers

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Because it's just plain BULLSH*T what Apple is doing atm.

How exactly is this Apple's fault? They shouldn't update the build number of the OS because some 3rd-party developer thinks it's important to fail when that version number changes?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
How exactly is this Apple's fault? They shouldn't update the build number of the OS because some 3rd-party developer thinks it's important to fail when that version number changes?

Right, as I've explained before, it's pretty clear that NVIDIA is choosing to deal with extra driver releases any time Apple revs the OS over the potentially large increase in support calls/emails when an old driver starts crashing/panicking because Apple changed something that the driver depended on. I can see pros and cons of both options, for sure. NVIDIA has been really good at getting new drivers out quickly, so is it really that big of a deal? The workaround of changing the build number that the driver is locked to has been well known for quite some time, and there are even tools that will automate it for you if you want to take the risk of using the old driver on the new OS.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Right, as I've explained before, it's pretty clear that NVIDIA is choosing to deal with extra driver releases any time Apple revs the OS over the potentially large increase in support calls/emails when an old driver starts crashing/panicking because Apple changed something that the driver depended on. I can see pros and cons of both options, for sure. NVIDIA has been really good at getting new drivers out quickly, so is it really that big of a deal? The workaround of changing the build number that the driver is locked to has been well known for quite some time, and there are even tools that will automate it for you if you want to take the risk of using the old driver on the new OS.

I think nVidia wants to get on Apple's good side, maybe. nVidia has better performance than the AMD cards in Apple products.

My 750m in my 2014 rMBP has better/non laggy performance than a 2014 iMac with an AMD GPU. And i am comparing this to connecting an external thunderbolt display to the rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.