Broken OCed B/W G3/400 Please give me hope!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GimmeSlack12, May 28, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So I got a BW 350 new back in 1999 and immediately OCed. I tried OCing it to 450 and it didn't work. I tried 400mHz and everything worked fine, its been that way ever since.

The BW has served me very well and I have since maxed the RAM and put a Radeon 7000 GPU into it and was using it as a TV media computer. It was working ok/good and so I thought I'd try to OC it again to 450 to see if I could get it working and squeeze a bit more juice out of it. God what a stupid idea.

It wouldn't work at 450 so I set it back to 400, it wouldn't work!!! Even back at 350 it won't work. God I can't believe I did this. I don't have the original block of jumpers that came with the computer (I know what box its in, but just can't find it).

Would replacing all the jumpers give it a chance at life again?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, as The Rock used to say:

"can you smell what I've got cookin!" :D

Unfortunately, it sounds like you fried the cpu. If it wouldn't o/c to 450 when it was new, it sure as h*ll wont do it 8 yrs later........unless of course you just got the jumpers in the wrong places...........

what were you thinkin ? :confused:

3. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Sorry, but it sounds busted!:(

My old G3 PB from 1999 gave up last month, sad but its time for a change.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

"What was I thinkin'?"

Who the ***** knows! Oh well, it had a good run and I learned my lesson. Time to find an old G4 Mini and get my TV media center workin again.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Would a G4 Sawtooth processor work straight swap?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No

If you want a G4 you should be able to put a Yikes! G4 processor into and apply a firmware patch. Otherwise you can put nearly any G3 without any software hacks.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

and THEN get one the many 3rd party upgrade cards that go to at least 500 mhz, maybe 550 and/or 600 :D

9. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think I'll just spring for a G3 chip on ebay, whatever speed. Make sure this BW boots fine and prep it to sell. Ultimately for a media center a G4 Mini will be ideal and I don't want the dissatisfaction of my BW G3 not being capable of excellent playback.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Why bother? The computer is so old that you are just throwing good money after bad. Time to turn it into a doorstop.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

12. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well if I can get a new processor for cheap I can sell this Franken-Mac for more. And jumpers are usually something I can get for free.

If you noticed my Signature I do have an iBook and its doing its job well still. I'm looking into a Mini G4 for my media center and should have that by the end of the day.

In time I'll get a MBP but at the moment I just don't need a brand new Mac. My iBook G4 is great still.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$20-30 for a replacement processor on a machine you can sell for about 3x more at stock.