Broken on/off switch on iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brdwygurl, Jul 6, 2011.

1. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Hi,

My on/off switch started to feel a bit funny a few days ago. As of this morning it won't work at all. It's like its pushed in and has no spring.

I am so frustrated because it's just a week or 2 out of warranty (I purchased on launch day last year).

Are there any options for me? Do you think if I took it to an apple store they would do anything for me (besides charging me $199).

Thanks

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Just make an appointment at the Genius Bar, explain your problem and be nice about it then see what they can do, nobody on here can tell you what they will do as they aren't very consistent with their policies.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

There seems to be more & more of these failing. It seems that Apple is compromising on quality in many areas. Yet it's only impact on us is the inconvenience of being without the phone for severals days to a week. Apple will fix them all.

Finally if you remember that quality is no longer an Apple priority & lower your expectations to a Dell like level. You won't be disappointed.
    PHP:

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Actually, they are. Be truthful and actually have a legitimate problem and they're good, lie and act entitled and they'll usually ignore you.

5. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

I just wanted to update.....

I took my iphone in to the genius bar today, and told him the problem that it was just 2 weeks out of warranty and that I really appreciated anything they could do to help.

He verified, checked the water sensors and said he would see if they could get an override on the out of warranty repair.

He did and swapped me out for a new phone...no charge. I told him that I knew he could have easily said, "sorry it's out of warranty" and that they rock :D

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I love hearing stories like this! Congrats :)

7. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

fk yeah :apple::apple:

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Was it new or a refurb??

9. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

You know honestly I didn't ask or really care...I was just happy for the courtesy swap. Is there a way for me to check?

10. bizzle macrumors 6502a

They are always refurbished. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

11. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I am actually always curious about this. Did they give you a new, factory sealed phone (assuming sealed is still "new") or just a replacement phone?

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

OP, could you describe your button a little more? Did it feel stiff before it stopped working?

When it stopped working, did it still make the click noise?

Also how long did you have the phone before it stopped working?

13. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

I had it a year and 2weeks :). I Ordered it on launch day last year.

The button felt completely fine before this. Then I noticed that when I pushed it in it kind of stayed in and I had to push harder for it to work. That lasted about half a day, then I pushed and nothing. It looked like it was stuck in the down position. The guy at the genuis bar tried to pry/lift up and checked to see if maybe a piece of dirt was lodged in there keeping it down. I had no clicking noise.

Hope that helps

14. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure what kind of packaging it was in since he brought it from the back already powered up so I could sign something. So I am guessing refurb...no retail packaging.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah I know what you mean haha, I was just curious I would assume that it was a refurb. How is the condition? Any cosmetic damage? I assume they put a new battery in refurbs.

16. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

The condition was excellent. Looked brand new to me. When I came home and checked the warranty info it said it was under warranty through August 2012. It's been updated now, but I wonder if that means it was new.