Broken Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdo13, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mdo13 macrumors newbie

I tried to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro Mid-2010 13 inch laptop. I soon found out that the optical drive in the laptop no longer works and is beyond repair (without sending it out for repairs). I have tried every troubleshooting tips Apple Support and MacRumors has to offer (editing Bootcamp plist for USB, using ReFit), but to no avail. I know it is possible to buy an Apple Superdrive for ~$70, but those are not compatible with my computer without changing a .plist. Is it possible to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp on a Mac compatible external usb optical drive?

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

You have the option to install windows, using a USB drive. This is a manual from Apple and it says the following;

To install Windows with a USB flash drive, you need the following:
    • An ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, or Windows 8 Pro, downloaded from Microsoft.
    • A USB flash drive that is 8 GB or larger.
    Boot Camp Assistant erases the flash drive and copies the Windows ISO and support software to it.

3. mdo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 13 inch does not support the option to install windows from a USB Drive.

4. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

What OS are you running on your Mac?

5. mdo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yosemite 10.10.1

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It doesn't matter, Macs that shipped with an optical drive will not boot a windows USB.

OP, why don't you buy an optical drive from ifixit and swap your defective one out? It takes all of 5 minutes if you have the correct screwdrivers on hand.

7. mdo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought an LG External Optical Drive today, works fine. Im going to be buying a new computer within a year or so since im going to be graduating soon. Got windows 7 installed today.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

because 90 bucks for a DVD drive is a rip off, especially as you can pick up a generic external that will work for $20

9. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

If Macs with optical drive cant boot form usb, why doesn't apple mention it? I tried it and yes mine doesn't have the option but apple doesn't say it in their document! And I think it's stupid that apple doesn't allow install using usb!

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Can't boot Windows installation from USB, the rest'll work.