Broken PB latch - where to get fixed?

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
My Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 15" screen latch is no longer working. The screen will close, the latch will pop down, but it won't lock.

I don't have Applecare and my warranty is past it's year.

Where can I get this fixed? Will Apple fix it for a price? Or a third-party company?

Who has the best price for this?

Since the screen won't latch, I can't sleep the computer when I carry it to and from work, which I do everyday.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Apple will fix it for a fairly unrealistic price. It will probably be so much that you invest in some sort of sleeve or strap to hold the PowerBook closed instead!

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
robbieduncan said:
Apple will fix it for a fairly unrealistic price. It will probably be so much that you invest in some sort of sleeve or strap to hold the PowerBook closed instead!
if you're willing to try fixing yourself. try Pbfixit.com and see if you can order the parts you need, then fix yourself :)

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I have this same problem. What you do to temporarily fix it is with your fingernail or something small, swing out the latch. Then gently press it down (towards the keyboard). Now try latching it. It works most of the time for me. I picked this tip up on the Apple discussion boards.

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
crees! said:
I have this same problem. What you do to temporarily fix it is with your fingernail or something small, swing out the latch. Then gently press it down (towards the keyboard). Now try latching it. It works most of the time for me. I picked this tip up on the Apple discussion boards.
I didn't see your post until after I posted the link right below you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out later and see if it works!

I'll let you know.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Yes, that does apply to aluminum models (G4 or G5 apparently). Good luck!

Jim

Edit: crees! I thought that was amusing too.

Winstonp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
w/o warranty, your powerbook can be fixed for some 90 bucks. I've had the same issue before.

However, i opened the screen and reinstalled the latch (it fell out). Free :)

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Winstonp said:
w/o warranty, your powerbook can be fixed for some 90 bucks. I've had the same issue before.

However, i opened the screen and reinstalled the latch (it fell out). Free :)
Do you mean that I can call Apple and they will fix the problem for $90 bucks, or are you speaking of a third-party company?

If Apple, where/who specifically do I contact to get this repair service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.