Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Hello -- When I attempt to share files from my Mac Mini (running 10.6.8), the permissions set in the File Sharing settings are not enforced (permissions).

For testing purposes, I simply created two users and gave user 1 permission to a folder share. But when user 2 authenticates, that user has full read/write permissions to the folder.

I did a quick screen capture demonstrating this (only 1minute long video). Make sure it is full screen and in a HD setting so you can see the user names and other details.

http://youtu.be/KbCsiYOU3Dw

I very much want to commission my old Mac Mini to be a local file server, but if all share permissions are going to be broken, well that's pretty sad. I would use strictly AFP, but I have two clients on the network here that need SMB shares.

Thanks!

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Nobody has seen this or has any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks, I will give that a try!

Anyone know why user the home directory and USB hard drive is automatically shared out as well (even when not listed under the shares)?

Thanks!

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Hi yerodtr,

You can turn on shares either using the Server.app or through the System Preferences Sharing pane. In either pane you can control what folders get shared, how they are shared (AFP, SMB, WebDAV), and what users/groups gain what type of access (No Access, Read, Read/Write, Write Only).

Switon

Thanks, but did you read my post or watch the video? I specifically created the share and set the permissions ... and then it failed.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Are both accounts administrator accounts? It would make sense that logging in as an administrator would give you access to everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.