Broken Permissions in File Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yerodtr, Sep 11, 2012.

1. yerodtr macrumors newbie

Hello -- When I attempt to share files from my Mac Mini (running 10.6.8), the permissions set in the File Sharing settings are not enforced (permissions).

For testing purposes, I simply created two users and gave user 1 permission to a folder share. But when user 2 authenticates, that user has full read/write permissions to the folder.

I did a quick screen capture demonstrating this (only 1minute long video). Make sure it is full screen and in a HD setting so you can see the user names and other details.

http://youtu.be/KbCsiYOU3Dw

I very much want to commission my old Mac Mini to be a local file server, but if all share permissions are going to be broken, well that's pretty sad. I would use strictly AFP, but I have two clients on the network here that need SMB shares.

Thanks!

2. yerodtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody has seen this or has any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

3. switon, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

4. yerodtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will give that a try!

Anyone know why user the home directory and USB hard drive is automatically shared out as well (even when not listed under the shares)?

Thanks!

5. switon, Sep 19, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

6. yerodtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but did you read my post or watch the video? I specifically created the share and set the permissions ... and then it failed.

7. switon, Sep 21, 2012
  8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are both accounts administrator accounts? It would make sense that logging in as an administrator would give you access to everything.