Broken PM G5 Quad from eBay

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by noodle654, Dec 18, 2013.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

So last week I won a PM G5 Quad on eBay for $25. It was 'broken' and the seller didn't provide a whole lot of detail besides "doesn't work". Oh well, only $25 so whatever.

I just opened it today and started to work on it. First, the whole thing was loaded with PC-3200 RAM...so removed all of that. The only RAM that works is a 2GB (1x1) set of PC2-5300 RAM. No flashing RAM indicators, but the LED #7 is lit, which according to the service manual is a CPU hang.

I took apart the LC unit and everything looks really clean. Minimal dust, no leaking or anything. I put the CPUs back and reapplied thermal paste. They are seated perfectly but I still get the #7 warning, however I get the chime.

The service manual says "replaced processors/logic board", but I don't know what processor is bad (let alone how to test). The thing is the computer boots fine! It displays video and loads but eventually the prohibited sign appears and nothing happens. Unfortunately I don't have any of my install disks, extra drives, extra RAM or my copies of ASD to test. I booted into verbose and get the following:

AppleSMU -- shutdown cause = 3
    "Something about not being able to find boot device"

Anybody have any bright ideas here? Or am I SOL?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Nice score! Can you even get to the desktop or just stuck at the apple logo?

3. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

It is just stuck on the logo and spinning wheel, but then turns into the prohibited sign and keeps spinning

4. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

5. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thanks, I already have a copy but it is at my other home. Once I'm there I will give it a run.

6. noodle654, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

As of now both LED #2 and #7 Red are lit. There seem to be many possibilities, but I am leaning towards either one (or both) of the processors are dead or one of them is dead. The only other thing I can think of is the liquid cooling unit, could the fluid evaporate? Perhaps one CPU is shutting off because it is overheating?

EDIT:

Tried to boot from ASD, would not boot. Looks like this thing is done. If anybody wants any parts let me know and PM me, otherwise it will most likely be recycled in the next week.

7. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Correct

8. Umbreon macrumors newbie

Looking at the readme file for ASD 2.6.3 for this quad (which I assume has to be a Late 2005), there's this note:

"*ASD 2.6.3 for PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) will not boot on the OS portion the DVD, only OF testing is supported. If you attempt to run Diagnostic (OS) from the system picker the system will hang while trying to boot into OS."

So can you run ASD from the OpenFirmware environment?

9. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Unfortunately I can't even get to the boot screen to select the OF portion of ASD. This thing just hangs, even in OF it becomes frozen and I can't type.