Broken Power Button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hardhead89, Apr 25, 2007.

1. hardhead89 macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a new MBP C2D that I got in november when it was released. I noticed a little while ago that the power button which is located on the right side(by the speaker) is recessed into the machine. When i push the power button down, the entire thing goes down into the machine. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if my free applecare would get this resolved. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, as of right now it doesnt impact anything that I do, but I am afraid that in the future it may worsen.
    Dan

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Haven't heard of that issue before. Take it to a AASP or Apple Store for repair. If you have damaged it then they will find out and quote you for a fix.

3. hardhead89 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't done anything to it other than turning the machine on, which is a light tap. I just noticed it a little while ago but I am pretty sure it has been there all along.

4. ef651100 macrumors newbie

ef651100

That happened to me. It's also a C2D MBP. Just take it back and let them know you are concerned that it my hit something inside and they will gladly replace the top case for you.

Looks like there's a batch of top case which they didn't put enough adheresive around the power button? =)

5. JohanVild macrumors newbie

If there's no other damage to it, it should be totally straight-forward. It's still under warranty so they should fix it free of charge.
    Reminds me of an old G3 clamshell where I had to remove the power button that had sunk in and had no spring action left in it - and every time I wanted to start it, I had to jam a screwdriver into the the power button on the logic board...
    Just take it in for repair.

6. hardhead89 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the replies. All I have to do is take it in to the Apple store and should they be able to fix it on the spot? or will I have to leave it there?

7. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

you'll probably have to leave it there as they will have to order the part first. It usualy takes a couple of days.

I had a similar problem with my power button were it kept triggering the system to turn off so they had to replace my top case. I't took the genius bar 3 days to get the new top case in after they ordered a replacement. In fact the genius who helped me asked if i wanted to hang onto the macbook until they got the part. I just went ahead and gave it to them though since I couldn't exactly use it because it kept shutting off.