Broken PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlphaDogg, Aug 22, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have obtained a broken PowerMac G5. It is a dual 2.0GHz model. When it starts up, the power light flashes 3 times. AFAIK, this is a RAM issue. Could it also be the motherboard?

EDIT: It also has a known dead hard drive.

2. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

This is what you want: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652
    This may only be for the later models but I would think it should be similar.

Looks like 3 Power button flashes could be due to incompatible ram.I would try to get some different ram and see how it works out.

Good luck.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Its either the wrong kind of RAM, or the computer isn't seeing it. If high density sticks are installed, it will do this too. So yes, its possible there is a motherboard problem that is causing this, but more than likely its just bad RAM.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I had a similar issue with a G5 I had. It wasn't the memory itself but the slots the memory goes into. I guess the connection to the logic board became faulty. I had to actually push down on the memory slot for it to work. Wouldn't boot with or without memory installed and then over time wouldn't work at all.

This reminded me of the old iBook graphics chip problem.

But just check by using different combinations of two memory sticks installed. They have to be installed in matching pairs. One of the memory sticks could have gone bad.

5. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Thank you all for your help. When I get a chance, I will talk to my friend who builds computers to see if he has any spare ram that would be compatible. If it still doesnt work, I will report back here/

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Let me look around to see if I got any extra laying around if you can't get any off your friend. Where are you located? You will need PC3200 400mhz DDR memory.

7. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Thank you for your generosity and your information. I live in Denver, CO... I should probably put my real location in the location box, shouldn't I?

8. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Sorry to post right after my previous post, but I am in need of some RAM for this machine. I am not able to get it to boot, and I believe it is a RAM issue. How much does RAM for this model usually cost? My friend does not have the correct type of RAM for this PowerMac.

On another note, I was able to get a dual 500MHz PowerMac G4 up and running. It sure is slow, though.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

PM me your address and I can send you some working sticks so you can trouble shoot it :) Sorry I forgot about this thread... would have sent sooner.

1gb DDR PC3200 sticks can run as much as $50 a piece if you buy quality RAM. And you have to install in pairs :eek:

10. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I sent the PM about a week ago. Still no reply. Also, When the power button is pressed, the power light flashes once every 5 seconds or so and the fans spin up, along with the HDD. Btw, I tested the HDD with a spare usb enclosure that I had. It still functions. It is pretty quiet, too.

11. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

She's Alivee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY EFFING GOD! I got the PowerMac to boot! The RAM sticks were installed in the wrong slots.... But, it works now! If OrangeSVTguy could send me some spare RAM to use (to upgrade from the current 512mb), that would be great! But, he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to :).

12. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

glad you got it to boot. mate check ebay for ram ddr 400mhz should do the trick. that thing will run like sh@t with 512mb..

cheers.

remeber, you must install ram in equal pairs...

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My friend finally found a matched pair of 256mb modules... I will install them in the PowerMac when he gives them to me. That will double the RAM inside the G5.