Broken Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexisesteves, Mar 12, 2018.

1. alexisesteves macrumors newbie

Hello.

My friend offer me her Nintendo Switch if I can fix her MacBook Pro 13" display. Her sister sat on the screen and it cracked. I hacked my PS3 (for those who know, it's quiet a pain in the ass but I did it) and I build drones/ like to touch everything about electronics so I think I can do it.

The model number is A1502 EMC2835. Do you know what I should look for to replace it ? Which spare models is compatible with this model ? How can I be sure about the year ("early 2013" ...) Any link to a tutorial or how to figure it out would be big help :)

The only things I found so far is how to open and change the display videos on youtube or some forum topic dated over 3 years ago.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's an iFixit guide to changing the display assembly here

3. alexisesteves thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Phil ! Thank you for your quick answer and I checked it however I can't find where it says how to find the part in a local spare shop. it only show the full display for 350$ (I live in japan)

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you can't locate the assembly in a local spares shop, I can only suggest you look on eBay or similar.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The EMC2835 is an Early 2015 Macbook Pro - so the correct iFixit guide would be here

Another way to verify the correct model is to input the serial number for the MBPro in one of the sites that interpret that serial number - such as http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php
    The serial number is on the bottom of the case, near the regulatory markings.

I think you will find that the 2015 display assembly is more expensive, too.

Unfortunately, the full display (LCD panel + the lid/bezel) is replaced in one piece, as the LCD panel is sealed inside the lid. There's lots of glue, IIRC.
    Maybe you can find a local shop that will have some experience in replacing LCD panels that are glued into the lid assembly.