Broken Right Fan & Backlit Keyboard Connectors, Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Jul 11, 2012.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I was taking the right fan off and pushed too hard on the connector which then broke off the logic board, I also managed to brake off another cable which I think is the backlit keyboard since it no longer lights up. Where can I take this to get fixed or do I have to replace the logic board? Could I possibly fix it myself? I attached a picture and circled the plugs which I broke.

Attached Files:

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Those just look unplugged, or partial damage to connector clips. Are the pins still mounted to the motherboard? If so, glue / epoxy in place.

P.S., consider cropping photo to remove your serial # from the inter webs.

3. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

That's not the actual picture, it's a sample image just to point out which connectors where broken!

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, finding someone who can replace / repair those connectors or solder the components directly to the motherboard would likely be a lot cheaper than purchasing an entire new motherboard.

Those connectors are stupid fragile, never liked the Zero Insertion Force connectors used by Apple today. Being careful on new hardware, they still frequently break. I've never broke the pins or traces off the PCB, so I usually solder or epoxy them back into place. Worked every time to date from my experience.

Got pictures of the actual patient?