Broken rMBP - question about getting data off of the SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ukukuku, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ukukuku macrumors newbie

ukukuku

I have a non-working mid-2012 Retina Macbook Pro with its original 256 gb SSD. It died from a water spill. I will likely eventually sell it as-is not working. But first I need to copy everything on the SSD and then reformat it.

I plan to use my older laptop, a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro until I get a new machine - possibly when Skylake arrives. I need to get the data from the rMBP to the older MBP. I looked into enclosures for the SSD, but the ones I have seen stress that they require USB 3.0 to work. The older laptop does not have USB 3.0, and neither do any of our other machines. So my question is simply is there any way to get the data from the rMBP SSD to the older MBP or to an external drive? The rMBP does not work even in target disk mode. I have no problem open it up and removing the SSD, but how can I connect to the SSD to get the data and to reformat it?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well if i remember correctly they were M.2 connected disks in the 2012. May be you can use something like this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/708960-starte...99&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CPLKpoOOlMYCFSsKwwod3kMArg

Just whip it out pop it into that case and put it in your old mac no need to transfer anything.

Do double check all the connectors etc before you try this as this is all just off the top of my head.

Anybody else please jump in if this is not feasable.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

No, they are NOT M.2 SSDs, the connector is a non-standard one!

But although the connector is non-standard, it's still a SATA drive, unlike the current PCIe versions, so there are adapters and enclosures available

Envoy Pro is somewhat expensive at $79, but it's sturdy and well made, and works with USB2.
    Then there are many cheaper USB enclosures and SATA-adapters available on eBay.

The cheapest solution could be getting a SATA-adapter and a USB2 enclosure for 2.5" drives. But if you think you might start using the SSD as an external drive with your future rMBP, I'd go with the Envoy Pro. You get very good speeds over USB3.

4. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

I second that! This will make a state of the art external harddrive. If you can afford not selling it, keep it!

Check also the Transcend Jetdrive, or the one from Firmtek. Don't know whether they offer the enclosure without the replacement SSD though.

5. ukukuku thread starter macrumors newbie

ukukuku

Thanks for the replies - just the information I was looking for. I ordered a SATA adapter to move the data. I may buy the Envoy Pro also, if I decide to keep the SSD rather than sell it with the rMBP.