Broken rMPB display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ardmanz, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I was working on my late 2013" rMBP on the weekend. It was on my lap.

I received a text on my phone and dropped it, it landed on the keyboard and very slowly slid towards the screen. It tapped the screen in the very bottom right hand corner with barely any force (I mean barely any at all) and now it's screwed.

The glass is completely intact but you can see where the "impact" took place under the glass but the whole screen is unusable (it's just a mass of solid white/grey blocks).

Now I took insurance under home contents but I've just found out the premium will be £200 and it will greatly effect my premium (for everything) next year.

I also have apple care but I'm guessing it won't be covered.

Anyway, I have an appointment in store on Saturday but I was wondering if anyone has had their display replaced before and how much it cost?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Displays are one of the most expensive components on the laptop. I believe its in the 800 dollar range.

You're correct apple care will not cover it, and as you stated, you home owners insurance will take a hit that you may regret.

3. vdoeditdude macrumors newbie

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The LCD screen is damaged. You're looking at around $500 in part cost for a new LCD assembly.

5. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

I'd rather let apple do it because I still have 2 years of applecare and I was under the impression that doing this sort of thing myself would void the warranty?

If it comes to around £300 then I guess I could just about stomach that.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot further invalidate your warranty with a self repair. Your warranty took a hit when you broke the display, fixing it yourself won't make matters worse (unless you damage the computer further)

7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

You can't get a "raw panel" for the retina MacBook Pros. The entire lid is a single piece.

With that said, a replacement display assembly for the rMBPs can be had off eBay for £350 to £400 and I gather it's relatively simple to install.

8. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is, if I allow Apple to carry out the work my warranty will remain intact.

If I open up the machine and fix it myself won't that invalidate the full warranty?

9. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

opening it yourself will invalidate your warranty. Let Apple do it, if the tech breaks a wire during the install they'll replace it for free. Why risk even more problems by doing it yourself

10. iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

Oh yes you can, if the shell is ok (no bending cause it will affect any lcd you are gonna put on) you can just replace your LCD panel and you will be good to go!
    With less than 170E a friend of mine replaced the LCD by himself and its like new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbdmks-KFE

11. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I'm officially impressed.

Can't say I'm surprised it'd be Louis Rossman to find a way though haha.

That said this repair looks insanely tedious and easy to mess up. Definitely requires some talented hands.

12. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm going to suck up the repair bill (£560 :().

Is there any sort of screen protectors I can get?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

None that will protect it from something dropping on it.

14. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I am really confused, can someone tell me why it would make your insurance go up?

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

16. StockDC2 macrumors regular

It's just like car insurance; if you report something to the insurance company such as an accident your insurance premiums go up. Insurance companies are more often than not, a huge scam.

17. chipchen macrumors 6502

1. Yes, you will technically void the warranty if you do it yourself. They may never notice or care though depending on what you need service for. If they do the repair, you do still have the full warranty. You can also get a prorated refund on AppleCare if you choose to at any time.

2. You mentioned that your phone hit the keyboard first, then slid towards the screen. Do you have a picture of the "impact" look? Cause I'm wondering if maybe the impact of the phone on the keyboard (with the logic board under it) helps to contribute to an unusable screen. Because 99% of the time, a cracked LCD (even with glass intact) affects a small area and slowly grows.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

simple fix

simply purchase a new computer and recycle or sell parts from the damaged one easy :)

19. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I don't have a pic (not a clear one anyway).

The impact was in the bottom right hand corner and the actual damaged looked to be rectangle(ish) and about 3inches by 1 inch. Initially I thought it was the yosemite graphics bug so I put the laptop into sleep and back out again.

Sometimes the screen would be usable but there was about 2 inches of distortion along the bottom and right hand edge.

I'd be surprised if the logic board was damaged. I dropped my phone from about 4 inches above the keyboard. There was barely any impact on either the keyboard or the screen (which is why I was really surprised by the damage).

It's in for repair at the moment.

20. leman macrumors 604

Because its how household insurances usually work. If you make claims frequently, your fees will go up, or the insurance might even cancel the contract. I don't see that as a 'scam', contrary to StockDC2's suggestion. The purpose of the insurance is to protect you from catastrophic events that can drive you into ruin, not to enable you a care-free life.