Broken Screen at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rstark18, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Last night when I finally got to the front of the store (Manhattan Beach, CA) for my reservation I was watching an employee talk to a lady that was just leaving with her phone. All of a sudden he takes the demo phone and starts hitting the glass on the edge of the wooden table. He did it a few time and showed the lady. The final time he kind of got quiet and palmed the phone and the lady left. I saw another employee (that didn't look too happy) go over to talk to him. They looked at the phone, he crawled under the table to unplug it, and off it went. I assume cracked screen. This was at 7:45, just after a guy assaulted one of the employees and the police and employee were discussing pressing charges.

BTW, I asked the guy that was helping me how many phone they had. He said 1000 and by the 11 hours spent in the reserve line, I'm sure that's about right.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, see... Even if something is designed to be durable, if you repeatedly and intentionally abuse the device, it WILL eventually break.

I mean heck, even bulletproof glass doesn't come out of a gunfight unscathed. The "bulletproof" is in the absorption of the bullet impact, deforming in the process. Likewise, Gorilla glass is meant to be more durable than most normal glass, but that doens't make it unbreakable.

I wouldn't have done that test even on the aluminum back of the 1st Gen iPhone. Why? The back would've dented!

Still, the fact that it took a few smacks against the table before it broke is pretty impressive.

I wonder if the repair cost is coming out of that guy's paycheck?

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If I took my nexus one and smacked it on jello it would break.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If I owned the store, I would make the guy replace the iPhone 4 and the table, since that's probably damaged, too. Very bad idea to try to prove that the iPhone can take intentional abuse. The employee should have used common sense even if the iPhone could withstand that multiple times.

5. Alexmo123 macrumors newbie

guaranteed he won't have to pay for anything. They will talk to him about it but thats all

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

That lady left with a false impression of durability, I think. :D

BTW, so they knew the name of the guy who got out of hand, they had his info?

Best to commit crimes anonymously.

Good rule of thumb :D

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

And that's why we all want iPhones...haha

8. Built macrumors 68020

WOW...That's the Apple Store I usually go to...It tends to be one of the more "civilized" ones in the area. It's hard to believe somebody assaulted an employee, but I DO hope they pressed charges. NOBODY should have to put up with such abuse. A night in lock-up should do the trick...Teach him a lesson and set an example for all others who think it's cool to assault an employee who is just doing his job.

You were in the Reserve line for 11 hours? I really thought that would be one of the quieter stores. Don't know why I thought that...just sayin'...

PS I don't know why the employee would feel the need to slam it against the table. When's the last time any of us have used our phones like that? Sure, I've dropped it...but pounding against the table? Not cool.

Thanks for sharing the story.

9. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assume so. The Police were going back and forth talking with employees and then him (he was outside of the store).

I am not sure if it was physical assault or a threat.

Yep from 9:15 to 8

I know and the first few times were prtty hard hits, hard enough too hear it from outside the front door.