Broken screen bezel, how can fix it myself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.garon, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mr.garon, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

mr.garon macrumors newbie

http://i.imgur.com/IyZaFyY.jpgThe bezel that holds the screen in place on my Macbook Pro 17" snapped. It's making it very hard to open and close the laptop and it will eventually break the whole screen. The break is in the lower left corner(link included below.)

Repair shop said they need to replace the entire screen. The Macbook is worth about $300 about the same amount as the repair. I was wondering about using something like two part epoxy to fix the bezel. Does anyone think this will hold? Is there a better option? Would doing this prevent the screen from being replaced at a later date?

The funk in the picture is duct tape residue:)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, should be be able to glue that or something. JB Weld or something might do it. I wouldn't spend a ton of money to replace the screen if you're saying the whole thing is only worth $300. Though you can't buy a 17" MacBook any more so in theory its priceless. :)

4. mr.garon thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried duct tape but there is just too much force applied when you open and close the screen. It didn't really work. Thanks for the tip on posting images correctly, I hopefully fixed it.

JB Weld sounds awesome, I will give it a try, nothing to lose.