Broken Screen Cost

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rokeneer, May 14, 2012.

1. Rokeneer macrumors regular

Hi all!

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but i couldn't find other topics like this.

I have a 13" MBP (2009) with a broken screen. How much does Apple charge to replace the screen(new display+labor)? I know there must be some people in this community that have had to do this.

Thanks!

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Why not ask Apple?

You can get a generic LCD panel for about $60. With a heat gun, a metal or sturdy plastic prying tool and determination, you can do it yourself.

Apple replaces the entire display clamshell, I would expect to pay around $400-500, unless they have some flat-rate repair option.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Unless it is broken glass. then it is a lot cheaper (25 diy)

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you have broken glass over a good LCD I would be very careful removing it.

Not because you could cut yourself, but there is a strong possibility you will scar the LCD itself while removing the glass.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Any techniques you would use? Because, strangely enough, that is what I am doing tomorrow with a screen! I am going to use a suction cup on the larger pieces, but IDK about the smaller slivers..

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I would recommend against the suction cup. I would expect the force required to attach it would push the glass onto the LCD.

I would recommend eyewear (not kidding).

Pry a piece out to get you started, then work super slowly. Don't be afraid to use heat and tweezers, pliers work too, but you have to grasp delicately.

Work super slowly until you see the way the glass moves when you pull it out.

Sorry, thats the best I can do.

7. Rokeneer thread starter macrumors regular

It is just the glass, which I am sure i can do myself. What I'm wondering is how much Apple's service costs for insurance purposes. (I really want a new laptop, which may happen through insurance depending on the cost to have it repaired through Apple)

8. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

In this case your shouldn't have bothered to ask here. Call Apple and ask them. You're insurance company is likely going to require a written quote anyway.

9. Rokeneer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in school right now, so i can't exactly call them. I do, however, have internet access, so I thought I would ask the community here first, seeing as they have been ever so helpful to me in the Mac Pro section.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

11. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Thanks. There is one piece that is pretty large and has support around a corner. Going to start there and work my way around. Looking at the screen (i just got it today) it is pretty nice, the pieces are all large with the exception of a few <1 inch diameter pieces.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I'm interested - does the rubber shock absorber that sits on the rim of the display come off with it, or does it stay in place?

13. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Stays in. Its more of a gasket than a shock absorber.

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Heres how it went: tried heating adhesive and sucking. To no avail, whatsoever. I began hacking at it with a small screwdriver. About a million fractures later (these things are THIN! and brittle!), I was able to get most of it off. Rebooted and it still works, just no backlight (on a list of things to fix....). Oh, ad eyewear helped :) I only got 2 glass cuts too!

15. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Sounds about in line with my experiences. Its a total PITA.

I always get glass cuts doing iPhone 3/3GS screens.

Glad you got it taken care of.