Broken Screen + External Monitor + Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nny0, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Nny0 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently dropped my macbook and the monitor cracked. sadface :(

Having used external monitors with it in the past (under Mac OS), I just connected one and all was fine there. Happy enough face :)

But then I needed to get into windows, and the same way to get the external monitor working was not working. sadface again :(

So I went to google and was like "yo google help me out plz" :confused:

And I found out that in order to get an external monitor to work in windows period, you have to mess around in the settings. :eek:

Threads I was reading though were from 2006-2008ish range. Does anyone have any idea how I can get an external monitor to work in windows without having to configure anything (since I can't see)? :D

I'll love you forever :eek:

(Or at least for a little bit)

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

win key + p or in an mac keyboard cmd + p (it works for windows 7) or you could try unplug and plug back the external monitor onto the macbook after windows boots.

3. Nny0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately, I'm not using Windows 7 but rather Windows XP, and cmd+P does not do anything :(

unplug/replug also didn't work.

I did have a light bulb though.

The way I get the monitor to work on macbook is as so: Load into Mac OS, close the lid, and plug in my USB Controller. After this, the external monitor becomes the only monitor, and I can open back up my laptop and use that mouse/keyboard (I do not have a USB keyboard/mouse with me, away at college).

So anyway, light bulb:

Upon holding down alt after the computer starts up, to select between Windows and Mac, I could apply the above so that the external monitor becomes the main monitor before even loading up windows.

Problem: Plugging in my USB Controller did not load up the external monitor.
    Possible solution: Maybe a USB keyboard/mouse, which would send commands to the computer, would wake up the computer so that it would load on the external monitor.

I'm going to try this out once I can find a USB keyboard or mouse, but figured I'd post it now to see if anyone knew ahead of time if it would(n't) work.