Broken screen, need to transfer files-help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wowtcg12, Jul 5, 2014.

1. wowtcg12 macrumors newbie

okay well, on my macbook pro the cord that allows you to see what's on the screen is broken so the screen is totally black. But in under 2 weeks I will be getting a whole new laptop. All I need to do is quickly transfer some files over to the new computer and I'm all set. Is there any way I can somehow like view the screen on another computer or tv for a relativly low cost. I'm really unsure how to fix this cord and I dont want to mess up the computer anymore. And I know if I brought it to Apple I'd be charged a fortune. All I'm looking for is like some sort of cable or something that I can connect to a seperate TV so i can actually see the screen. Thanks so much :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Depending on what model of MBP you have, you could use a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable to connect to your TV.

You could also just remove the HDD from the MBP and put it in a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure, which cost around 10 to 20 € and transfer via Migration Assistant or just Finder and then use the HDD for backing up your new Mac.

3. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

Use a firewire or thunderbolt cable and target disk mode to access the old
    Machine from the new machine directly.