Broken Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Telp, May 2, 2008.

?

Where you able to get a broken screened iphone replaced for free?

1. Yes, had it replaced free of charge.

70.0%
  2. No, had to pay for a "new" one.

20.0%
  3. Had it replaced for free, but had to fight for it

10.0%
  1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

How many people out there have broken there screen and had apple replace it for them, free of charge. I have my phone from Day 2, and the screen broke today somehow. I will call apple later but for now, what do you think my chances of getting it replaced are.

Also, I don't want people to come in here and say, well its your fault the screen broke so why should apple replace it for free? I understand that, although I have no idea how it broke in the first place. Musta gotten knocked against somthing, the crack starts at the home button.

2. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I am on my 3rd iphone right now, the first one had a faulty silence/ring switch.

Not two weeks after getting my phone replaced I was charging it and my friend tripped on the charger cable and it hit some tile flooring and shattered. I took it to an Apple store expecting to have to pay to have the phone replaced but the genius just brought out another one for me!

I guess I was just really lucky though because this doesn't happen for most people. Sometimes they replace it if it looks like the screen has cracked from a pressure-fracture or something like that, instead of being shattered from a drop.

Good luck!

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thanks mate. Mine came not from a drop, but not a stress fracture either. I called my local apple store and got no advice or anything, wasn't expecting much, but felt it necessary to try. Going to try and bring it in today, however, you know how malls are on fridays...I feel like my soul has been shattered (pathetic i know). I cared for this phone like nothing ever. This blows. I'll tell you all how it goes tonight. :(:(:(

4. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Good deal.

Sometimes I've heard of people just having "faulty" glass... meaning it's just not superior compared to some of the other iPhones. Also other things can affect the screen cracking like temperature, frequent use, etc. I mean you said you've had it since the beginning and I'm sure that you've applied pressure to the screen quite a bit and weakened it, or so it may seem theoretically.

I would go in and be stern about it. If it honestly didn't crack from a drop usually they are nice about it. I heard an Apple employee once say that they can tell the difference on how the screen cracked usually: First they look for outside marks, mainly dents. If you have a dent on the back of the phone, especially if it's on one of the corners, they will assume that the glass may have cracked from dropping it. Also, dropped iPhone's usually display a "spider-webbed" crack coming from a single point, whereas faulty glass cracks are often long lines and not as intricate.

Again, best of luck.

5. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I also just realized that you said the crack starts at the home button.

This can also be an example of "faulty" glass. It's not so much that the glass is faulty or inferior, but really, where the home button is located is a hole in the glass which is the weakest point. Frequent use of the home button (especially since you've had it for almost an entire year) can lead to a fracture in the glass that will grow in time.

It's sort of like how last summer I noticed a small fracture in the windshield of my Civic, about an inch long starting at the side (probably from a kicked up rock or something). Well I didn't have the money at the time to get the small crack taken out, but after about a week and the Texas heat getting to it, it stretched to the other side of the windshield a few feet across.

6. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Haha. Thanks a lot for all your words of encouragement. It's getting my hopes up :D. Unfortunatly, i do have some dents in my phone from drops in both the top left and top right of the phone. Also, my crack does have a beginning part and spiderwebs, however, you can quite clearly see it must have knocked into something at a vertical angle because you can quite cleary see underneath the black part were the home button is, although just barely. I wish i had a camera besides my iPhones...maybe an old crappy VGA...I'll try.

7. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Alright, well i tried with a VGA but its not even worth the trouble to get the pictures onto my computer from that old phone since the pictures were so bad. :eek:

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Telp, when you heading over to the Apple Store? KMA (Keep Me Advised) on your situation. Thanks. :(

9. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Don't worry mate. I will be sure to tell you and everyone on this forum (whoever cares to look) how it went.

10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

My friends cracked too. But it wasn't from a drop. Apple knew that and replaced it for free.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good to hear! Good luck Everyone. :cool:

12. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

What was it from? And how were they able to tell. I'm pretty sure you can tell mine wasn't from a drop.

13. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Pardon my photoshop skills, but heres a quick little...well this is what my phone looks like. Where the original white dot is that everything spreads from is where the object or whatever must have hit the phone. Its actually a hole there, the glass musta fallen in my pocket (i should look :eek:) and you can see underneath and everything.

Attached Files:

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

15. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thanks mate. Well, I just hope they replace it, even though they don't have to :(. I've babied this thing, its totally ironic. When i told my friend she was like wait YOUR iPhone?! You treat that better than ANYTHING else!!!

16. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

He had it in his jacket pocket and he thinks it bumped something. There were no dents so Apple replaced it.

17. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Well lucky him. Unfotunatly I was not lucky enough to have somebr willing to break the rules. $200 for a replacement, but that's all he is willing to do. The guy was very nice about it. Said it was taken care of perfectly. I think he though I dropped it since he said that, and even when I said I didnt drop it, not sure he believed me. Anyway. I'm crapped out about this. Told him I'd rather just save up for a new iPhone abd he suggested I jut cover this up with a plastic cover. Not what I want to do, and there is no way anyone is touching this again, not that they could from the start. Well that's that. Cuz it really looks I dropped this. --role eyes-- :(:(

18. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Well, I had the drive home to think about it. As much as it kills me, and it kills me. Really badly. It just gives me an excuse to buy Gen 2 iPhone...Gunna put some tape over it and see if i can use it...:( Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement, atleast it takes my mind off my drivers taste later this month. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'm really mad, and just wanna hack the F*** outta my phone to get back at apple, but its just not worth it...

19. Zews macrumors newbie

You want to get back at Apple? You're kidding ... right?!?

Dude you broke it, grow up and take responsibility for it, instead of blaming Apple for your foolishness.

20. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

let's get a couple things strait. First off I'm not mad that Apple didn't replace it, more mad that the guy didn't believe me when I said I didn't drop it. Second off, I'm not denying blame, but seeing how it was in my pocket all day, how was I bing foolish? You need to grow up and not post some pointless comments. Your the fool.

21. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Did you even read any of the previous posts about the situation? Stop being an ass and chill out.