broken SIM reader iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rikers_mailbox, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

CRAP! I just managed to break the SIM reader in my original iPhone 2G. I was exchanging SIM cards and the tray somehow got stuck part way in. It would not eject. Eventually I was able to pull it out, but something is damaged inside the reader.

Does Apple still repair 2G iPhones? What are the repair fees? Am i better off taking it to a 3rd party repair shop?

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I know Apple Care exists. However I was asking for advice/opinions/experience. That's a benefit of online forums. Please refrain from snarky replies.

And now to advance the thread, Apple still replaces 2G iPhones for $199. It's a refurbished unit in (essentially) new condition.

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

Did you ever get this fixed? I just managed to do the same thing, and JUST as I was about to sell my iPhone 4, and rock the 2g for a month or so until the 5 comes out :(

I got the phone all disassembled, and have found the problem, but I can't manage to find a replacement SIM reader online. All I'm finding are 3G/3Gs ones but they look different.

5. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

This just happened to my original 2g as well...so sad...i took it out of my drawer to play around with after all these years, and decided to pop in a nano sim +adapter. When i attempted to take it out it got jammed and i forced it out. Now when i put it back in i get the "no Sim card" message...so sad..i loved the 2g. I guess now its just an item to look at in my drawer:((