broken sound card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heavy hands, Sep 22, 2008.

1. heavy hands macrumors newbie

heavy hands

let me know if i posted this in the wrong place... if so, sorry.

i connected my Peavy Mark IV Bass Head (120 VAC, 60Hz, 800 Watts, 2-4 OHMS) directly to my Mac with the intention of recording in Garage Band.

as soon as i turned up the volume on the bass head i heard a pop from my external speakers then silence (from all programs: Garage Band, iTunes, iChat, ect). at first i thought it might have blown out the external speakers but they still work when i connect them to my ipod and such.

i know practically nothing about computers and am not sure if it's even possible to fry a sound card this way... but i guess it makes sense.

any suggestions as to what the problem might be (or possible solutions) would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

go into the system settings and check your sound options as far as outputs and inputs.

Power off the computer. Turn it back on, does it make the apple "dong" sound when you turn it on.

If it does your sound card should be ok.

4. Shikari macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have had the exact same problem as the poster, could anyone help me?

In system profiler, under 'Audio (Built In)' it says that there is no in-built audio. In system preferences under sound is saying 'No output/input devices found'. There is no 'Dong" at startup either!

Help!