Broken speaker, how do they fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wokis, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Wokis macrumors regular

Hi!

My right speaker in the MBA has been acting up as of late, and is not handling certain sounds and levels without producing a noise that is pretty unbearable. I'm sure there is an English word for the defect but I can't think of it.

We have no Apple store where I live yet but I was doing a very quick visit to a premium reseller today. I asked if they do warranty errands for apple products, even if I hadn't bought the laptop from them. The answer I got was yes, which came as a surprise for me.

Unfortunately I had no time to chat with them further. And I won't have time until Saturday. (I'll guess I'll give Apple support a call tomorrow, though.) So I thought maybe you guys know a thing or two based on past experience or intense knowledge base reading :)

I guess my first question is if it's really the case? Apple Authorized Service providers does warranty covered errands for apple? I didn't think they did any kind of repairs without charging for it, unless of course I'd bought it there.

Second question is if anyone knows the progress I'd have to go through. I use my laptop at work everyday and would prefer not going through any long period of not having it. Is speaker repair easy for them or is it something that gets sent in for refurb meaning that perhaps I'd simply get a new macbook? Which in turn might mean I'd have to wait for shipment since I have an 8GB RAM model.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My right speaker has completely gone, haven't had a chance to get to an Apple store yet, guess they'll just swap the part out for a new one.