Broken SuperDrive after upgrading to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flux73, Dec 22, 2012.

1. flux73 macrumors 65816

Anyone else have this issue? I have a 2010 Mac Mini. I've only ever used the SuperDrive a few times to install software. Today, I was trying to install Lightroom 4 when I discovered that the SuperDrive is dead. It won't accept a disc and it makes no sound whatsoever. In System Information under "Disc Burning", it's still recognized:
    HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA32N:

Firmware Revision: KC08
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 1024 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

But otherwise completely dead. I've tried booting into recovery mode, and then into Terminal, and typing "drutil eject". I've tried resetting the PRAM about a half dozen times. The drive still doesn't work.

After doing a Google search, I have found numerous other people who experienced the same problem. They have all found that it broke *after* installing Mountain Lion. Before I read that, it never occurred to me that an OS upgrade could break the SuperDrive.

I'll be taking in to the Apple Store tomorrow to get it checked out but wanted to see if anyone else here had a similar problem after upgrading to Mountain Lion?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could try this:

Insert the Installer disk which came with your Mini, but only do this after holding the Option key at startup, the screen will show up where you can choose the startup disk, by this time you should already hear the drive spinning.
    If this works you know it is not your drive but the OS.
    The drive at startup is afaik not controlled by the OS yet but by the machine's firmware.

3. cakesson macrumors newbie