Broken Superdrive/Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beepbeepimajeep, May 24, 2009.

1. beepbeepimajeep macrumors newbie

My superdrive broke on my late 2008 2.6 ghz Macbook Pro (surprise, surprise), and would rather not pay the ridiculous prices that Apple and other 3rd party vendors are charging for new a new one. I can live without it, really, but I recently ran into trouble while trying to install Windows XP using Boot Camp. I've scoured the internet, and asked several friends and still can't find a solution. External cd drives don't work. If it is possible to install Windows onto the Boot Camp partition using parallels or a similar program, I would love to hear it. I saw a link on here with a tutorial on how to enable remote disk dvd drive sharing between my mac and a pc. I followed every step, and can see the cd over the network, but I have no clue how to make this work with the Boot Camp Assistant. Is there any way I can make this work and avoid shelling out 150 dollars for a new superdrive? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, because I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now.

2. wesrk macrumors 6502a

check the windows on the mac forum, some people are doing Vista/7 without a superdrive, don't know how easy it is to do XP though.