Broken tabs that hold RAM in place

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mk11b, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mk11b macrumors newbie

Soooo first time mac owner here and I watched a few youtube videos and decided I'd replace my own ram. Now I'm reasonably experienced with fiddling with computers, (mostly desktops though) and I thought it looked pretty straightforward.

So coming out was easy, putting in however...

I couldnt get the bottom one to click when I pressed down so I kept taking it out and putting it in and trying.
    eventually I heard a click... it was the left tab breaking. So I put it all back together and much to my amazement it still works, and it recognizes the new upgraded memory.

I'm curious as to whether anybody has had a similar experience because I know that it part of the logic board and it would cost a bundle to fix. So I might just see how this goes.

And if anybody has any advice on how I could fix this should it start diarrhea-ing all over itself.

Thanks for the input.

2. 7254278, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

7254278 macrumors 68020

This just happened to me while upgrading my ram. . . The top chip rests against the aluminum case now because its tilted upwards with nothing holding it down. The macbook pro turns on and reads the ram fine but I am wondering if I can fry my computer now because the ram chip literally resting against the inside of the macbook pro's aluminum case bottom. . . .

Any ideas?

3. simox1 macrumors newbie

The tab can, I think, be changed in an Apple Store !
    But you'll have to pay for it because you broke it (no more warranty)

4. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Considering leaving it as is, if things seem to keep working. . . Not cautious I know but so far so good. . .

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I'd probably get some tape to keep it held down.

6. Takashi macrumors regular

I would get it fixed. The tabs hold the memory down. Unless your macbook pro will stay in 1 spot (i.e. you will never move it), there is always a chance that the RAM will get dislodged and shot circuit something.

Alternatively, you can always try to super glue the damaged tabs and see if it works, but you will have to leave your computer off for the glue to dry.

7. Zofia macrumors newbie

so did the glue work? same thing happen to me cause, but im sacre about trying to glue it and then my finger will get stuck whne the computer starts warming up, typical girl fears:(

8. Takashi macrumors regular

Use a pair of tweezers and crazy glue (the ones that set within 30 seconds and dry in a day) to glue the tabs back into place. Make sure you dry fit them first (i.e. fit w/o any glue) and read the instructions on the bottle on how to use the glue.

9. Zofia macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Takashi, i will try it out, for sure i will read the instructions on the glue bottle lolol, if it works out Redreplicant and Patmian u guys should try it out as well, will give u feedback on the outcome of the tab and the condition of my fingers :eek:

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

As long as one side is being held down, it'll probably be 'ok'.

11. Zofia macrumors newbie

got it to work

so ginally i got it to work but there is somethinng wrong still, seems that now the tab does other functions also lol

----------

ok my computer is nuts now, i dont think it got high on glue, sorry patmian212

12. iMacC2D, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  13. rebby macrumors 6502

I second this approach. It never hurts to ask before taking out the super glue. You never know... After it's glued however, the answer is almost certainly going to be NO every time.

14. jonnizz macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem while upgrading to 16gb with mine. glue wont work, there is too much tension , even if is a tiny piece. What i did was placing the ram bar the best i could and then duck-taped a little of folded paper to give the pressing needed and to not be in direct contact with the body casing. It worked.
    The only bad thing that has happened to me is when i move my mac too much i get sometimes the 3 beeps of the loose ram. im looking for a way to replace the piece myself, but its profing to not be very easy to find, i think i will really get it replaced/serviced, because it IS a portable mac, not one to seat only in one place.